rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh man, enjoy a nice, cold glass of lemonade for me tonight. I'll need it. The breeder seems to be a potato. So far towards his seizures we've established:
1)getting your dog vaccinated causes seizures
2)it can't be epilepsy (genetic) because his mother, father, and siblings are not seizing
3)there are probably toxins in his environment or head trauma that caused this
4)I should rush him to the pet ER now (except that would stress him out and probably cause another seizure and he is sleepy but normal 5-10 minutes after, and he didn't die when he had a milder version of this I thought was a pulled muscle when he was a baby, he's not dead now) The vet will COME HERE when I can get him to come. I feel based on past experience and what I am observing that it is for his best to do it that way.

In regards to his behavior towards livestock we have established:
1)there are no bad dogs, only bad owners-I am causing this
2)behavior around livestock is all training
3)he is not becoming predatory-that's ridiculous-I'm allowing him to think he's supposed to become predatory.
4)I should hire an LGD guru to tell me what I'm doing wrong and fix this.
5)I should definitely not give up and put him in a shelter (I would not, and never suggested that I would put him in a shelter, I didn't say, but I would get him euthanized)

I may tell her what the vet says, but I'm not talking to her anymore beyond that. Too much fun.

It also sounds like diagnostic tests are going to be very expensive. I'm not sure what we're planning on doing.

...kind of makes me wonder how I could have avoided this and never do it again. They LOOKED normal. Breeder (owners) were not super young. The adult dogs were all in with stock. All the questions were answered right. I guess the buildings were new, puppy pickup day was scheduled exactly at the 8 week legal age deadline. Contract was short. Breeders (dogs) were young.

This is a mess.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was no way you could foresee the problems you are having. No reason for you to feel humiliated either IMO. You have had a bad experience, and Badger is probably a fluke. You didn't cause it and the breeder is just covering their butt and being unprofessional about accepting any sort of responsibility for the dog they bred.
Since she's not helpful in the least I would stop communicating with her. Do what you see as the best for your family and move on. :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no way that you could have seen this coming. What you said above checked all the boxes, there seemed to be nothing amiss. I would not communicate any further with the breeder.

This sucks. I am sorry for you and your family, I am sorry for Badger and I am sorry for Bailey. It just sucks.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snowed 2" today. I shoveled the part of the house and drive shaded by the house on the north side. The rest melted.
IMG_20200116_081026698.jpg

Latest posts