rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
What did the vet say about his teeth being misaligned ?
The vet didn't say anything about it. I'm not real impressed by this vet.
I feed Riker a can of purina pure instinct grain free food mixed into his dry food with water to make it more appealing And it's just canned chicken and pork offal with vitamins mixed in and I brought a can and asked if they could please get him to eat it while he was in their care because he hadn't eaten in several days. I DID get a tongue lashing for feeding that. (PEAs and pea protein in dog food especially grain free diets, according to the FDA is what causes that, not ALL grain free diets or mixers and that food is definitely pea free). And they offered him NOTHING while he was there. And he still hasn't eaten more than a lick of food. But I am out $600.

We don't have a lot of choices for vets unless I want to drive for hours. Nashville and the metro area kind of creates this uncrossable ring of accidents and traffic jams preventing you from getting anywhere so I am stuck in this area.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor dog. I hope he eats something for you. What’s wrong with peas for dogs? Green peas or southern peas? Or all peas?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The FDA was investigating a link between feeding food with peas/lentils and induced cardio myapathy and found there to be one there if I recall correctly. Grain free food, especially dry grain free food, almost always has peas/lentils in it to bump the protein and replace the carbs. It's fairly common. Even Purina non-grain free does. So the word in the veterinary community is to not feed food with lentils/peas. So no beans for Fido?

Here's a link to the documentation on the FDA investigation.

I remember when this blew up in the veterinary world and was frustrated that the technician didn't know/didn't bother to check the ingredients list on the can of food that she said she "checked the label" on before berating me for feeding my sick dog something to get him to eat that did not even have the questionable component. And then let my dog go hungry and offer him nothing when I asked her to offer him what I gave him as soon as he had anti nausea meds onboard and it was safe.

That aside, I think beans are good for just about any other critter though.

Riker ate a hotdog and a half today at lunch and drank some water. That's an improvement. Not bad for calorie count either.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scrambled eggs and rice got my sick dog to eat when nothing else would... :idunno Oh, and chicken - home canned chicken. I sure hope you can pull him out of this! He's lucky to have you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So the "healthy" dog food is causing heart problems in dogs. Pay a premium price for grain free and your dog gets sick. That is just wrong. No peas or potatoes. I didn't know peas and potatoes could cause problems like that. Thanks for the link to that article.

I vote for chicken and rice too! Maybe it will tempt Riker into eating.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm on Cattle Dog #5 right now. He throws up cooked potatoes. The 15.5 yr old CD who passed in Oct, threw up cooked carrots. Other than those two items, they all have loved raw and cooked veggies. Esp red bells.

Yes, as the old ones get older, I have to make chicken breast (big ones) with white rice and some well soaked kibble. Otherwise their stomachs don't tolerate anything well.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, no peas or sweet potatoes.

Yesterday Riker got a pound of hamburger cooked up in addition to his hot dog and a half. Today he ate half of his dry food/canned food mix. I like that.

I stumbled into this cow ad. She's probably too far for me to get brought up here on any transport with price of diesel (3 hours), but I actually like the looks of the ad, and the guy sent a video of milking. This would be a time I wish I had my own truck and trailer to get goofy Dan himself a middle aged cow and be done with it. It would be fun. Anyway, do you think she's priced correctly in the offchance any transporters are still running at a reasonable rate despite gas price? (some like to make each person with an animal on board pay for the entire trip themselves so the trip pays several times over rather than just splitting the cost with a nice profit and they pack the trailer with little regard to sanitation...yeah, I know what they're doing there, and those are the ones happy to keep running right now)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but 8 lbs a day is barely a gallon. She has been milking for over a year already, not yet bred back??? NO NO NO....Even on grass only my beef cows make more than that when they are fresh. BUT..... THE BIG RED FLAG... she is open for a year already. Maybe they didn't want to breed her sooner... but the longer you let a cow go without being bred, it is often harder to get her bred back. They might get her bred on the first breeding...... BUT, have they tried to breed her and she hasn't settled yet.
Great disposition is one thing... sorry, she is not a candidate in my book for any good reason...