rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I checked the goats over yesterday and the two lamancha bucks have nice, dry feet despite being pocketed still. I'm hoping that will be good for growing out the compromised tissue without starting new infections. I noticed Buggy is putting on muscle as he continues eating like he's starving to death (I decided tobegin graining him yesterday too, since I'll be using the horseshoer's secret supplement anyway, maybe we'll normalize him eventually) Mineral feeder got emptied. All bucks but Patrick still have pale eyelids. For some reason he colored up fast.
The does occasionally get wormy in the winter and right now a few are border line and I think I need to worm a few of them coming up, but they have not been wormy like my bucks have. My little guys got wormy right after rut and didn't bounce back super well, and it looks like the new guys are doing that post move thing goats do. The new bucks also started a "eating hay off the ground in the barn" habit which probably isn't helping. So now just a little hay is inside in a feeder, and the big hay bag is OUTSIDE. They don't seem to eat it off the ground out of the barn. All the hay may wind up there soon (although I fully support midnight snacking when they're sleeping in the barn and I like decoying the at the inside rack in the am for water bucket filling).

Today I will worm the does in question and start hoof treatment.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Egg eaters. Cheap enough to try, work or not. Cheap plastic paint tray on the nestbox floor. Heavy board across the "paint" end, so they lay on the angled "clean up" portion. Egg rolls down the tray and under the board. If it doesn't work.....you will probably eventually paint something anyhow.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nom, nom, nom, let's get fat! And moisturized feet!
IMG_20200109_133357937.jpg

(Above buck is just about what I'd call fat...although it's mostly hay belly, he's still ribby)

Newest buck, from the same place as buck above, but has only been here since new year's approximately. He's woolly, but there's not much to him yet.
IMG_20200109_134955254.jpg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sold the whitings and company (listed yesterday at soup hen price) AND the rooster with full disclosure. The guy wants to try and breed them anyway and whitings are apparently expensive birds. Bailey like the guy so much I had to lock her in the barn. She wanted to clobber him with affection. She was acting like a massive puppy.

Went out and did a grocery run and got stuff for kid smoothies. Got shavings from farmers exchange.

Went to dairy for more milk and some pork sausage. My first GOOD pork. Very little flavorings, but it was lean and the porky flavor was mild.

Mucked everything everywhere (goats, silkies) and got hen house ready for new chicks.

Goats are locked out under their barn wings because it's nice weather right now-above freezing by a LOOOONG shot and I want things to stay clean. High today was 65. Tomorrows will be too, then we will stay mostly above freezing until Thursday.

New reports on town fb page of an XL, brightly colored coyote trying to go for dogs while in view/arms reach of their owners. Latest dog was a 50 lbs collie type, owner saved it.

@Bruce
Someone's giving away their alpaca herd of 8 for free on the farmers' exchange bulletin board. Want some more friends? :D =D

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If I was
Sold the whitings and company (listed yesterday at soup hen price) AND the rooster with full disclosure. The guy wants to try and breed them anyway and whitings are apparently expensive birds. Bailey like the guy so much I had to lock her in the barn. She wanted to clobber him with affection. She was acting like a massive puppy.

Went out and did a grocery run and got stuff for kid smoothies. Got shavings from farmers exchange.

Went to dairy for more milk and some pork sausage. My first GOOD pork. Very little flavorings, but it was lean and the porky flavor was mild.

Mucked everything everywhere (goats, silkies) and got hen house ready for new chicks.

Goats are locked out under their barn wings because it's nice weather right now-above freezing by a LOOOONG shot and I want things to stay clean. High today was 65. Tomorrows will be too, then we will stay mostly above freezing until Thursday.

New reports on town fb page of an XL, brightly colored coyote trying to go for dogs while in view/arms reach of their owners. Latest dog was a 50 lbs collie type, owner saved it.

@Bruce
Someone's giving away their alpaca herd of 8 for free on the farmers' exchange bulletin board. Want some more friends? :D =D
If I was close I’d consider it. Too far from here to even think about.

Latest posts