Ragdollcatlady's Just a Little Patch of Weeds Farm journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like things are going well! Plenty of days with lots of stars and at least 1 star per day. I think your attitude is a winner, nothing worse than "I gave in at breakfast, the whole day is shot so I might as well pig out on the snacks and try again tomorrow".

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am glad you shared about the deprivation part. Psychologically, when our brains are connected with something strongly and we think deprivation it causes that trigger that can almost cause "panic". This I believe is why so many have a difficult time or fail at whatever they are trying to work on.
Sometimes it is really as simple as looking at that thing (I'll use a candy bar as an example) and saying, "hmm I could have this"... "nah, never mind... maybe later"
It gives the brain a break and causes the appropriate control.
I forget what it is but certain chemicals are released with the "I can't have" and a whole different response with the "choosing".

Those stars release endorphins. :)
Does the same for list makers.
When I dealt with the OCD issue on a pretty bad scale.. I did lists, lights, lots of things that helped keep me in check.... check marks after completing a task is like your stars. :D

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've been really busy....
Ghost Ryder kidded first, twin does
Rigatoni went next with buck and doe kids
Bellini had twin bucks
Strawberry Shortcake had buck and doe kids
And today Cherry had a single doe. Thankfully i made it home in time. She was having a hard time. The kid had one front leg back and was wedged hard. Her head was out, she was choking on goo and fluid and struggling to breathe. I was able to get her out and revive her, clear her airway and tie her off. She seemed to be hemorrhaging a little bit from her umbilical cord, more bleeding than usual. So thankful for all of my blessings right now. Worried about Cherry, she hasn't passed her placenta yet. Hoping it is just due to the hard kidding. It's only been a couple hours, going to check on her again when I get back.
:weee:weee:weeefor lots of healthy kids!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you still have Baily? I was thinking about her the other day and all the Boers I used to raise. I miss those spots.

Congrats on the new kids.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do... she is one of my very favorites. She and Blueberry Melanie are still due to kid, but I pen bred the boer goats and I think they took later.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So by my count that's 4 bucks and 5 does. Pretty even all around. Course I don't know if you wanted one over the other. I guess it's "easier" to sell bucks than the does... Of course that's dependent on colors, spots, attitude, time of day, weather, etc... ;) Grats on your kidding so far. Glad you got home in time for Cherry. Hope she's fine.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
With the tough times ya have had it is nice to have fresh newborns to help ease the pain and give ya some Joy....:thumbsup.....course ya know we are waiting on pics!!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I had trouble with my camera today.... not sure if it is the batteries (I really hope so!):fl or the camera... It is pretty old.... so I hope it hangs in for a few more years. I NEED it to keep taking great pics for me. My phone is no match for the camera.

I am really relieved right now. Cherry did pass the placenta. Last year she had triplets, 2 kids at 11 lbs each that didnt make it and one 6 lb kid that did and I wasn't home when she delivered so no idea what happened there. That was hard on her so one kid is fine for this year, but this baby is a monster. I will try and get a weight later, mom and kid are resting right now.

Strawberry seems a little confused about her little girl. I have placed her near mom a couple times today to nurse and after a difficult start, she seems to accept her. Not that she refuses, she just seems confused until she starts to nurse, then seems to settle down. She finally had a really full tummy tonight, but I did get out the bottles just in case. I just ran outside to check, heard a panicked mama goat..... Strawberry is hollering across the way to Cherries new kid and can't find her own. Hers tucked themselves into the house with all the other kids under the shelf. :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw a dog house the other day made from an IBC tote, they simply cut a hole in the side and filled it with some straw. I immediately thought about a house for baby goats. I want one, or more.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
In other news.... I had a surprise arrive at work for me the other day.... It caused quite a commotion in the front office

20180115_180210.jpg

Flowers!!!! from Alaska of course!

Oh.... and he asked me out on an official date! :D =D