Ref - Dr. Kennedy (Pipestone Vet)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just saw the announcement that Doc Kennedy died peacefully on Monday, 12 November 2018.

The link is to the Funeral Home:

https://www.hartquistfuneral.com/obituaries/obituary-listings?obId=3458895#/obituaryInfo

Obituary for Doc Kennedy
Doc Kennedy was a shepherd. He was a shepherd of livestock and people.

He was born on March 17, 1935 in Humboldt, Iowa. He did all the usual and ordinary things; went to school, college, veterinary school, fell in love with his high school sweetheart, Kay. They married while Doc was still in veterinary school. Kay worked his way through Vet School; he was so grateful for her support. He graduated in 1960 from Iowa State University and they moved to Pipestone, MN to practice and raise their family of four daughters. Pipestone has been his home ever since.

Kay passed away in 1996. In 1998, love entered his life for the second time and he married Deb. Together, they have six children, 12 grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. He and Deb farmed with partner, Gary Gorter and have 150 registered Katahdin female sheep. He worked as a veterinarian his entire life, over 58 years; retirement was not in his vocabulary.

Being a veterinarian was not only Doc’s vocation it was his passion. He especially enjoyed sheep; working with large feed lots and ewe flocks as a result of the Pipestone Lamb and Wool program, which he helped develop. He served on the boards for the Dorper and Katahdin breeds and on the ASI health committee. He authored two books on sheep health. He was involved in all aspects of practice, auction market work, dairy, beef, swine, and an occasional dog or cat, and one monkey. He was the vet who could do it all. In the 80’s, he was lead veterinarian on the first exports of dairy cattle to China and Indonesia. In the 90s, he co-created the Pipestone System, an integrated swine production system owned by its’ farmer members, involving 200,000 sows that result in over 5,000,000 pigs per year. He received the Camp Tender award from ASI, and is a member of the Minnesota Agricultural Hall of Fame and the Pipestone Lamb and Wool Programs Hall of Fame. He was a managing partner of Pipestone Artificial Breeders, a leader in swine semen production for 18 years. He loved the Pipestone Community, serving for many years on the bank board and the school board.

Doc loved America, his Minnesota Vikings, showing his various purebred sheep flocks, fishing in Alaska, and hunting in Minnesota, South Dakota, and especially New Mexico. Pets were an important part of his entire life. He loved all his pets, even though some did not return his love. At the time of his death, he enjoyed the companionship of six dogs and three garage cats; and way too many farm cats.

Doc lived his life caring for animals and their owners, his employees, and partners. Through the years, he and Deb shared their home with many vet students, who were interning at the clinic. The spirit of altruism was strong in him. He believed in order to be successful; it was essential to put self-importance on the back burner. He believed every deal needed to be a win-win. He took much pride in the accomplishments of people he mentored, from business partners, to employees, to vet students, to all the “farm kids” that have worked for him. He loved to see them succeed.

In the Bible, Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd; and I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” Doc Kennedy, the earthly shepherd, is known by the Holy Shepherd, and called by name, and on Monday, November 12, 2018 he departed to his heavenly home.

He was preceded in death by his parents and his beloved Kay. He is lovingly remembered by his wife, Debra (Salzsieder) and children; Kim (Phil) Schaefbauer of Baxter, MN; Jacque Kennedy of Pipestone; Diane Kennedy (Mark Dahl) of Luverne, MN; Barbara Kennedy (Eddie Dyson), of Crystal, MN; Bill (Mandi) Trebbe of Ft. Pierre, SD; and Adam (Ammie) Trebbe of Colorado Springs, CO; and 12 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, the family prefers memorials to the GF Kennedy Memorial.