Rifles and pistols and shotguns oh my!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Shot a few rounds from a Henry 45-70 not long ago. Steel receiver and round barrel. The action is every bit as smooth as they claim. I can't justify paying that much, but it was a very accurate and well balanced rifle.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Greybeard,

Did you shoot again this Christmas time? My wife and I enjoy driving to Frontsight for firearms training during our breaks. It is located out in the Nevada desert. Have you ever been there?

We try to get there for a few classes every year. I like it because they have great instructors and we usually take several of the four day classes: handgun, tactical shotgun, long rifle, etc. They have really improved our game.

I have shot the .44 40 Henry. It was a blast and I can still remember pulling the trigger and then waiting to hear the lead hit the target...the lead from that rifle sure moved slow!

2.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, Christmas gathering alternates around to different family members each year and this year was at my niece's place in a town about an hour away. Inside city limits on a smallish lot--we only shoot when it is slated to be at my place.

I have not been to the Nevada gathering, it's a bit far for me to travel but looks like a blast. It would be about 700 miles west just to get out of Texas.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a looong stretch of road there...made that trip a few times, thought I'd never see the state line the first time I drove it. I ran out of hrs and took 2 days to cross. ;)

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, Christmas gathering alternates around to different family members each year and this year was at my niece's place in a town about an hour away. Inside city limits on a smallish lot--we only shoot when it is slated to be at my place.

I have not been to the Nevada gathering, it's a bit far for me to travel but looks like a blast. It would be about 700 miles west just to get out of Texas.

Wow, I did not realize it was that far until I just glanced at a map. Plus you would need to travel through New Mexico and Arizona too!

I can see how that would be a long, long drive Greybeard!

Yes, I like Frontsight for the training they offer. I think they offer over 50 different classes now. Some of their advanced training is quite challenging.

I do not care much for their advertisement and I simply ignore it because a friend gave us life time memberships there. So for free, I have no complaints at all.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful Christmas there.

I was born in Austin TX but lived in California most of my life. Contemplated moving back to Texas due to the high levels of political insanity in California, [the liberal politicians themselves struggle with severe personal mental health issues in this state], but my parents are getting really old and I want to be here for them. So for now, it is California for me.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spend as much time as you can with your parents for sure. As far as I can foresee, Texas ain't going anywhere.

Always glad to see there are trained and interested firearm owners..even in Calif.

A new gunshop and range opened a few miles from my house and I visited it last month. Considered a range membership but minimum 1 yr membership is $500. Ouch!! I was afraid to ask if they had a 'per hour' rate.
I can shoot clean line of sight up to 500 yards at home.
I need to build something similar to this tho--tired of policing brass out of the pasture.
brasscreen.jpg

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Greybeard,

Do you already have your shooting bench? If not, many DIY designs online for the shooting benches.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy...6IMKHUTICDwQ_AUICSgC&biw=1600&bih=770#imgrc=_

Not sure if mosquito netting would be strong enough to catch your brass but I am sure you will be able to find some material that will work well for you.

Such a nice freedom to be able to shoot at your own location.

We still have the laws and freedoms that permit us to shoot legally at our ranch here. I make a habit of practicing a minimum of every two weeks to stay sharp for CCW requirements. But many people move out here for the peace and quiet, so most of my shooting now is with the PCP air guns. At rest, we are consistently obtaining single jagged holes up to 100 yards and the loudest noise is when the lead hits the target. Suppressors are legal on air rifles in California at this time. Now various companies are manufacturing PCP air rifle and guns up to 70 cal. which is amazing. My favorite for low noise and low lead costs is the .25 Benjamin Marauder. It is an amazing air rifle and is also the primary instrument I use to harvest wild turkeys. To be honest with you, at 70 yards, at rest, with a decent scope, it is impossible to miss.

Our "pistol gun range" is currently under water since last week, and it is showing no signs of draining on its own...now it is a pond, over 100 ft. long, 50 ft. wide is some areas. At the berm, it is 4'-6' ft. deep.

Not sure what to do as this is the first time since we moved in 3.5 years ago that we have experienced so much rain...best of all, starting next Wednesday, we are scheduled to receive another "atmospheric river" storm that is suppose to last for three days...ouch!

Pond 1.JPG
Mrod 1.3.15c.JPG

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
:D
I have that same Primos rest, except the cushion on mine has been repaired with duct tape.
Don't ask how, but while sighting in an SKS for wife to shoot up some tannerite, I put two rounds thru the top of the original covering.
My favorite weapon is my Weatherby .270, but the older get, the heavier it seems to get.