Rolling Acres - This and That

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really don't mind the snow if i don't have to drive in it. I just don't like the extreme cold, which we'll be getting come Monday.
Last night power went out for about an hour. There was an accident I heard, a few miles down the road. One good thing about losing power in the winter time is that the power company crew will hussle to get the power restore. In the summer time they will take their sweet time in restoring the power.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've lucked out! DD called from the mountain just before noon to say that the resort is putting her up for the night so she doesn't have to drive in the storm tomorrow morning. I'm sure that is true for all who do not live on the mountain (meaning all but the internationals who are housed on the mountain road). It means they will be at work safely and on time in the morning so the paying guests in the condos can ski. No operators/attendants, no lift running, no lift running no skiing. So their benevolence is likely somewhat self serving. But it works for me and we don't have to worry about her going off the road (she did twice last year). I don't have to get up early to move snow in the morning and can wait until most of the snow has fallen before I move any of it so she can park when she gets home around 5 tomorrow afternoon.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
As of 6am we have about a foot of snow on the ground and it's still snowing.
20190120_054813.jpg
20190120_054827.jpg
20190120_054836.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce when I worked at Wintergreen Resort in Va after my car wreck in 1989, they also would put up "essential" personnel when we had alot of snow so that they were available to run the skiing operation, and the ones of us that worked the restaurants and such. Same thoughts, needed to make sure the "guests" and the ones in the nearby houses were able to get to the resort and eat and ski. I maybe stayed twice as I had animals that had to be fed and taken care of. On those days, I would leave in the mornings after the "breakfast" rush and come home as they could usually find someone to come take my place after the roads were cleared off a bit.

@Rammy I cannot believe that you got snow there out of this storm. All we got was .... you guessed it, RAIN. And plenty of it. Over 1.2 inches in the gauge. Would have been over a foot of snow so glad it wasn't.... but the ground squishes when you walk on it. Not normal for January. I just dumped it and brought it in so it won't freeze. It is mostly sunny, blue skies with white puffy clouds and quite breezy. Saying we could get wind gusts up to 50 mph later. Sure hope not. At least the wind will help to dry out the surface and the sun will warm up the cattle before the temps drop off. Been a year of crazy weather that is for sure.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most all our snow is gone, melted/washed away in the rain. It will mean the plummeting temps will freeze the ground up and it will do damage to the hay fields and pasture grasses. Oh well....so far holding about 40 degrees, but it is supposed to be the high for the day with temps dropping.
We only have 2 months of winter left.....and the days are already getting longer....:celebrate:bow.