1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. A Thief has been caught!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Rotational Grazing

Discussion in 'Pasture, Hay, & Forages: Information & Management' started by Wehner Homestead, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Aug 29, 2018
    Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead Herd Master

We are going to switch our cows to rotational grazing the first of the year.

Getting the goats on the same track is also a goal but no current timeframe.

I thought I’d see if anyone else has done any rotational grazing and any do’s or dont’s to share. We are researching but sometimes the been there/done that adds some awesome insight!

RollingAcres likes this.
  2. Aug 30, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Regular rotational one pasture to the next or MIG?

I don't cut any hay off my place so I've always been able to do rotational grazing, it's why I have so many cross fences and gates.
    I don't do it with the char/sim herd to any great extent but always have with the smaller herd of beefmasters, but I never keep more than 10 or 12 of those as momma age cows. Depends on the time of year and the rainfall but about a week on each area worked well for me. Rotation is 'by the numbers' . From area five, I lead em down the road in front of the house and back in to One. Sometimes I would use the 17.4 ac but not usually and not lately.
    Most areas have natural water but areas one and five it has to be provided via water troughs.
    rot1.jpg

I tried MIG one year. Way too much labor involved for the return.

mystang89 and RollingAcres like this.