SA Farm's journal

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been explained, but they are tiny. Take a regular straight pin, not the kind with the colored plastic head, the kind with the small metal head. A seed tick is smaller. When you blunder through a nest of those devils they swarm all over, dig in and burrow out of sight. I'd almost druther hug a fire ant nest.

I have never heard of them before, have had a tick infestation in my house from a upolstered chair that i bought from a estate sale....that was a nightmare, and we had a yard full here when we first moved in, but once i treated the yard for two seasons...nonthing :) thanks for letting me know what the little monsters are :eek:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, seed ticks make me grateful to just have the regular ol’ deer ticks :tongue
If you have 'regular ol' deer ticks' then you also have seed ticks because as Mike pointed out, seed ticks are just a larvae stage of tick. You may not encounter them for various reasons, but they're there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll tell y'all a funny story about seed ticks. I was 14, at my grand parents in Corrigan. My cousin, age 13 and a friend of hers were also there. We went walking in the woods and ran into a nest of seed ticks. I watched with dismay as they spread all over us, my cousin and her friend (city girls) were freaking out. I told them I was going to the creek and took off running. They ran behind me. At the creek, I stripped naked and scrubbed with handfuls of wet sand on me to get the ticks off. Cousin and friend were freaked out by that too. I told them what the ticks would do to them and that they'd better get them off. Their clothes hit the bank and they did a good sand scrubbing too. Then we sloshed in the creek to wash the sand off. They were nervous about snakes. Me, I was more worried about the darn ticks.

So there we were, butt naked out in the woods, our clothes covered in ticks, hundreds and hundreds of the tiny *&$^&*#. I hate them. We gingerly picked up our clothes, holding them away from us and made our way through the woods back to Grandmothers house. Grandpa was gone to town, we were very grateful for THAT!. There was a large clearing to cross to get to the house, and the neighbor was on his tractor in his garden. So we waited for him to turn and go up the row, then we skeedaddled to the house, dropping our clothes on the way. Grandmother looked up to see 3 giggling naked girls come running in. We took a bath in a wash tub, put on clean clothes, then draped our tick clothes over the tractor. Next morning, the ticks were gone and we packed the clothing up in our bags.

We got NO tick bites.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
A picture’s worth a thousand words:
8B5990E2-109F-44D9-935D-C0B708BE1E8A.jpeg