SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should stop by more often! What are you making with the wool? Baby looks happy and despite the kitty attack, all is well!
I really should! Lately my internet has been acting up, so whenever I’m thinking about it, I can’t actually get on to post!
So far, other than the hat I made, I’ve just been processing and spinning the wool into yarn. I’m sure I’ll come up with something to use it for 😋

Looks like we’ll be having kittens around here in a few months. Kitty had a gentleman caller on Valentine’s Day :lol: 🤦‍♀️ I need to see if I can find and get her into one of those farm/outdoor cat spay/neuter clinics they used to have a couple of times a year. Not sure if they still do since Covid.

My ewes are bred! At least three of the four are showing pretty good. Today was nice, so I went out and crotched Foxy and Kit. Both are nice and wide and developing an udder. I put Dingo with them Oct 10, so another few weeks to a month to go 😄🤞

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got Coy crotched yesterday. Afterwards I hurt my hand on Dingo’s face after he went after me a few times :smack:smackI think we got the pecking order sorted out again…at least for the moment.
Rams 🙄
Anyway, took some pics of my turkeys to post my extras for sale now that spring is just around the corner and I think they’re looking good. DH and I have figured out who we’ll be keeping - down to a quad, which is a good number for me. I’m hoping to mostly be selling hatching eggs this year, though I will let them brood if they want.
452C18BC-16DC-4C9A-A430-BCBCA92EE603.jpeg
And, this time of year just demands pics of farm animal privates, so here’s Foxy’s growing udder!
700BAFD8-6A97-4A7A-9022-E95E82E7F47D.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don’t worry, I’ve been getting in the habit of bringing my phone with me when I go out to do lamb checks. I will definitely post pics of them!
I’m getting impatient for them to lamb now that we’ve reached their official due date based on when I put Dingo in with the girls. Of course, that means they are due anytime in the next 17 or so days!
Foxy and Woolfie seem the closest to lambing. Coy is looking big as a house - this was taken two weeks ago 😱
77FFBCE5-A336-4399-83B5-517F7DCD7B10.jpeg

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had a cold snap last night, so I was half expecting someone to lamb, but nope! Nothing!
Bad sheep. Foxy and Woolfie both have full udders, no ligaments, and look ready to lamb at any moment.
So probably another week or three with my luck 😂

Got my extra turkeys moved out and my ducks started laying, so spring is definitely on the way. Got the chicken/duck pen cleaned out last week and the turkeys need done next.

I’m curious about what makes a good milk sheep other than the obvious. See, Foxy and Kit run, kick, and generally hate it when I try to feel their bags, while Woolfie and Coy actually hold still and even do a bit of a crouch while I check them. Wondering what kind of implications that vast difference in attitude might mean once they lamb. Just one of those random curiosity things 🤔😁

The trio of “extra” turkey hens that went to a new home.
850BDB3C-B765-4BE1-BDC2-D516421E0C85.jpeg
Kitty being all cute on our last nice sunny day 😎
C141B79A-AB1F-40A7-895F-6BC25D3546F7.jpeg