SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doing the catch up from the basically couple months of rain. All the arenas are done and the ranch road is good - though I think I may do another run with the box grader for a little fine tuning. A couple days ago I worked over the smallest arena - it's got a few dips that turned into rain lakes. It's not fenced and pretty much been used for dog type training. I'm re-thinking how it will be used. On the way back to the barn with the harrow I usually check back to make sure the harrow is ok. Well - it's official - the end of grazing all about is over, there was a rattle snake in the harrow (dead 👍 ) but I didn't even see it before it got in there. So that's two strikes - foxtails are headed up, almost dry, and turning brown, and rattle snake. Not going to try for a third strike which would be a foxtailup Obi's nose, down his ear, of God forbid a rattlesnake bite. Time to shift into ranch work - weed whacking, planting, growing, etc.
It's been a great 5 almost 6 months of being out there grazing, but all good things must come to a pause.
Easter Sunday was great - DS and DDIL were here and we had fun target shooting - including with bows as well. That gave me the bright idea to make that area a "game" area. It's not far from the house and it's level enough for fun and games (this is the old "dog training" area). Also think that we could make a fun target and backstop that looks like an old western saloon! :D =D.
Today will be more weed whacking and set up for shearing the three who need it. One of my herding students is going to help.
So - I've sent emails to a bunch folks about the CA Reds. So far it's mostly no reply. Two did reply they either no longer have them or are on their last (were more "pet" than anything else), I've put myself on one waiting list and that's it. Getting anywhere with this is like pulling teeth. I'd really like this to happen - and I'll continue the search, but I'm not holding my breath. For a breed that needs to build the gene pool it seems most are not interested in the end goal. Sad. LOL -- it's worse than dogs. I DO know the dog thing as dogs I've had since I was a kid were not common.
The fog rolls in and out here - and always is one of those things that I love to watch.
This morning it came in, rolled out, came back (unusual) and rolled out again.
IMG_8251.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So - I've sent emails to a bunch folks about the CA Reds. So far it's mostly no reply. Two did reply they either no longer have them or are on their last (were more "pet" than anything else), I've put myself on one waiting list and that's it.
I wonder why peope are not continuig with the California Reds. Did anyone tell you why they were out of them? Might be a good idea to find out if there is a reason why people no longer are breeding or owning them. Could be something wrong with the gentetic pool that you would not want to deal with.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder why peope are not continuig with the California Reds. Did anyone tell you why they were out of them? Might be a good idea to find out if there is a reason why people no longer are breeding or owning them. Could be something wrong with the gentetic pool that you would not want to deal with.
Of the replies I've gotten the ones that don't have them anymore, or are on their last are keeping out of the sheep thing - they were mostly pet type - have the "lawn mower" sheep and let the grands be around sweet sheep.
One breeder has a waiting list (I'm now on it for 2024 and any that fall through this year). If there is a reason no one is talking.
Wondering if I should just go another direction with another breed or something. I think that's what I'll do and if the CA Reds pan out - it'll be a slow process.

Latest posts