SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you knit or crochet? Spin? Sounds like an adventure is cooking. Slow simmer to be sure, but it’s heating up!

So what’s breed choice #2?
Breed # 2 would be Dorpers. Twas what I was trying to get last year - not easy LOL everyone says their sheep are Dorpers - snagged 4 in July/August - one is all black w/ white spot on it's head (?Dorper?), one is silver (?Dorper?) and two are white ~probably Dorpers. No papers, wasn't looking for papers. LOL at the time I only knew about the black headed Dorpers.
LOL -- knit, crochet - tried as a kid - failed miserably - left handed and at the time no one knew how to teach lefthanded.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update on the CA Reds - got an email reply (sent original email ~ 2weeks ago) she just finished lambing, isn't sure she'd have any available and I should look closer to me -- umm that was my first go. Replied if she knew anyone closer please let me know - otherwise if she does have some avail I would be willing to make the trip. We'll see what / if anything comes of it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wondering if I should just go another direction with another breed or something. I think that's what I'll do and if the CA Reds pan out - it'll be a slow process.
If they are so rare/hard to find I would be concerned about inbreeding problems. Even if you found some now where would you get unrelated rams in the future?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup - I did! To my untrained sheep (but trained dog and horse) eye he looks really good. Filling out really nicely as well. I'll try to snag a pic.
@Mini Horses
Here's a pic of my ram lamb -- not the greatest pic. I'd like a straighter topline on him - if lamb growth is anything like puppies I'm guessing that could change. He does have that Quarter Horse butt going though ;) and good bone.

IMG_8279.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are so rare/hard to find I would be concerned about inbreeding problems. Even if you found some now where would you get unrelated rams in the future?
Excellent points. I does make me wonder about them going forward. Perhaps bring in a Tunis or a Barb ram since that's how these originated? Definitely something that I would be asking about with the breed mentors.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ram lamb is still young! Yes he'll grow more...I see a big boy there. 🥰 Often hips & shoulders are uneven at this age. Compare this pic to one in another 6 months. Yeah, it's fun to watch.

I'm growing out a just turned 1 buck. He's as big as my 5 yr old big does. No where done with size!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ram lamb is still young! Yes he'll grow more...I see a big boy there. 🥰 Often hips & shoulders are uneven at this age. Compare this pic to one in another 6 months. Yeah, it's fun to watch.

I'm growing out a just turned 1 buck. He's as big as my 5 yr old big does. No where done with size!
Ah ha! just like puppies - font high, rear high, level, repeat! :lol:
So far he is a sweetie. Likes his animal crackers and wild buckwheat treats. Not pushy - so far - but I'm definitely watching carefully. Though I did swat him for trying to nibble on my jacket!

Latest posts