Scale for weighing?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are in the farming business for profit, and everyone here should be, you can depreciate your equipment in Schedual "F" of your tax returns. Who knows, with better records you will have a much better chance for making a profit,

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are in the farming business for profit, and everyone here should be, you can depreciate your equipment in Schedual "F" of your tax returns. Who knows, with better records you will have a much better chance for making a profit,

The reality is most on here are NOT running a business. Many are homesteaders. Providing food for yourself is very valuable.
The reality for those that own dairy goats is going to be a NOT for profit endeavor.
To run a dairy- a big expense, over regulation and in most states are near impossible to start up.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suppose I could bring the cost/animal down if I used it for the chickens and cats as well as the alpacas. Getting 7 more chicks in April. Assuming I don't lose any hens between now and then that would total 24 animals. Not too sure how well those bigger scales work on a 6 pound chicken that won't hold still or a day old chick though ;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh probably, then I would need to fence more acreage and we all know just how much fun that is here. How about we see if DD1 actually does something with the fiber from the 2 boys we have now before I increase my herd??? Says she needs a spinning wheel. I'm still waiting for her to use the floor loom we were gifted 4 years ago by a college friend of my wife's. It was his mother's but her eyesight wasn't up to using it any more. Wife and DD1 bought a kit, it and the loom just sit there.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The reality is most on here are NOT running a business. Many are homesteaders. Providing food for yourself is very valuable.
The reality for those that own dairy goats is going to be a NOT for profit endeavor.

True, but everyone would still be better served if they kept records and did the research to find if they are spending the $$ in the best way possible. A scale is probably down the list of "need to have equipment" but helps a lot in determining the general health of the animal, if our nutrition programs are the best we can afford, if the genetics are what we want, if momma is providing enough quality milk, if there is an internal parasite problem growing, and takes a lot of guesswork out of our herd work--even for hobbyists. And yes, like everything else, whether it be a thermometer, shelter, feed troughs, balling gun, or hay feeders, a scale's value should be parsed out over the course of it's lifetime of use.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Southern by choice, post: 467756, member: 6771"L]The reality is most on here are NOT running a business. Many are homesteaders. Providing food for yourself is very valuable.
To run a dairy- a big expense, over regulation and in most states are near impossible to start up.[/QUOTE]
The REALITY IS the homesteaders, you and I would be much better off financialy IF we viewed and worked our property, animals, and all crops as a BUSINESS instead of a hobby. A hobby guarantees you throwing your money down the toilet.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bossroo Although I do respect you and your knowledge when it comes to running a business, you have to realize that this is "backyardherds". Not "making money with a few animals". Obviously most of us don't want to just throw money away… the dairy goats provide milk, cheese, soap, and meat. No nobody is bringing in big $. But truthfully most don't ever have the numbers to do so.

Most of us aren't willing to just ditch our animals when it's not working out either… cull, yes. Keep the top producers, yes. It is a homestead for some and a hobby for others.

You are right- can't make money off of a hobby. It wouldn't be a hobby then ;)

Curious- what type of livestock are you currently raising, numbers, and what is your profit? How much do you spend on care, feed, etc?

Perhaps if you were to start a thread on it you would have a different response and people would be more likely to listen.

Arguing with members on random threads isn't going to do much. If you really care about how people spend their money start a new topic. Teach people.

Also- sometimes it's best to take a few years to LEARN animals before you jump into it with both feet. I see MORE people lose money because they thought they'd turn it right into a business… but totally forgot the animal husbandry. You can have everything set up for success but if you don't know how to tell an animal is about to give birth, can't tell when they are sick, don't know how to milk, feed, butcher, etc. the list goes on… that also sets oneself up for failure and dumps $ down the toilet.