Scale for weighing?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe I can put in my 2 cts on this. I am of the homesteader mindset, yet my son and I have a fairly large beef cattle operation. We could not make it if we both didn't have off farm jobs, but we are trying to pay mortgages, so that money is a bit of a wash since we would be paying a motgage or rents with or without the cows. I have put a pencil to the garden as opposed to buying vegetables, and definitely do come out at least even if not ahead. Counting the time and equipment that is involved in canning and freezing. That does not take into account that I am getting exercise that I wouldn't get, or that I get some very VALUABLE stress relief from getting in the dirt. I do a major job of mulching so that it is not a time consuming problem to pull weeds in the summer. And I do not use chemicals so I KNOW that my produce is not "tainted.
I did pastured free range layers for several years. Paid for my two used and retrofited camper trailers and all their feed plus misc equipment on wholesale egg prices in less than 2 years. Plus buying my pullets as ready to lay @ 20 weeks, off set by the value of the 2 yr olds as bigger cull hens that are very in demand here by different ethnic groups. But I could not justify the costs of the d*****bald eagle that carried off 122 hens in one year so I quit. I have some purebred hens that I show so they are a hobby but the sale of hatching eggs and the value of FRESH eating eggs make them about a wash money wise. All hobbies don't have to be justified. My sister and her ex used to have a boat....they enjoyed it but it never gave them back anything financially...At least my chickens do. And they eat bugs and I enjoy them.
My steers that go in the freezer come out to average about $4.00 lb for everything; steaks, roasts ground beef etc. That's the cost of ground beef at the market and I KNOW WHAT MY ANIMALS HAVE EATEN. So I am coming out even with input, but at the value of the meat ( steaks and such) at the store, I am ahead.
Have any of you ever seen what they figure the cost of venison is ???? If you had to go out and buy everything to be able to shoot a couple of deer a year?? What I am trying to convey is that the initial costs are high but over time they can be averaged out. And yes I like venison...
We have White Texas Dall sheep. a hair breed that is semi-wild. We raise them for the rams trophy heads. Takes 4-6 years for a ram to make the grade, often a horn on one side will get broken and take them from a $5-800 ram down to a $150. ram, so we lose on them. My son likes them. We sell all the lambs that we aren't retaining for breeding or don't make the cut for keeping for horns, as feeders and the prices vary wildly year to year. No they aren't money makers, but he enjoys them. He also has purebred poultry. bloodlines that his father and grandfather have developed and they don't make any money but has eggs. A hobby that he does sell some breeding stock and culls from so they aren't a "money pit" but not profitable.

Our cattle operation is a different story. It is a business. He has an accountant that is very good, we have alot of land rented, alot of equipment, and work alot of hours at it. We run a cow/calf operation; average of 200 head of momma cows, so have an average 350 head counting heifers and calves, at any one time. We calve a group in the spring and another group in the fall. We also sell hay, and do custom bush-hogging. We make money some years, some don't, but also have tons of write offs. He figures that he will have his farm paid off in 20 years so all the cattle income after that will more than pay the costs plus give him a small income. This is a business, and we are constantly looking at ways to be more efficient. Prices have been on a HUGE roller coaster ride the past 5 years. We also have a big debt load from buying most of the equipment from a friend who had cancer, before he passed away, at a VERY low interest rate which gives his widow an income; to be paid off in less than 20 years; plus we rent the farm, for a too high cost, but it is central (literally and figuratively) to all that we do so we justify it that way. We don't pay rent on several places as people want the land use tax advantages and aren't going to farm it or are elderly and no longer can farm it. So we can offset rents that are high by places there is no rent. There are places we have lost due to sales, some we have given up when the rent cannot be justified. We have people calling him to make hay or run cattle on their place because we try to do right by the landowner, if they are fair to us.
We are in this for the long run. We have our days when I am ready to scream, but it is what we do. Yes there are days when I wish we didn't have all this responsibility, but he has pencilled it out to where we had to be to make it pay or to do it, small scale, as a "hobby".
I am in total agreement that not all things have to be profitable. That said, you do need to have an idea of what you are putting into it. Some things just are not practical no matter how you justify it and no one on here that I have seen is a millionaire.:ya:ya

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Profit can be seen in many ways--sometimes in financials--sometimes in 'value'...sometimes on emotional and mental basis-- Value being simply what one gets from something. It is often an intangible. BYH for instance, presents 'value' to most users, tho nothing that can be counted, weighed or taken to the bank teller's window.

So it is, with all ag production big and small, but on a board like this (where there is a mixture of very inexperienced people and older, more informed and experienced people) a paradox often emerges. People, often come here to seek knowledge from those who have been there already, and those experienced people have both an opportunity and a responsibility to try to prevent the newcomers from paying the 'stupid tax'--that is what we in cattle refer to in reference to mistakes we should have known better about but made them anyway. The paradox is that the provider of the knowledge is sometimes disparaged simply because they point out something that the others are doing wrong or something they should be doing in order to make animal husbandry either easier, safer, free from harm to the animals, more profitable or to add to that intangible of 'value'.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Somehow Bossroo you just don't get it.
Is it less expensive for me to but milk from the grocery store? When I crunch the numbers, yes.
In my state I cannot legally buy Goats milk from anyone not a licensed dairy- not for human consumption.
Nor can I buy or sell cheese, nor are there shares.

Sorry, I'll pay more for what I produce. Quite frankly far too many are ignorant of withdrawal times, meds, health, disease, and zoonotic illnesses.
Even selling soap... yeah, unless it is a full time job and I make boatloads of soaps and lotions etc enough to cover my a$$ in insurance it is not worth it.
I know MY practices. There are only a handful of people that I would ever buy a food animal from.

Of course it is unwise and it is throwing money away to keep sick animals, unthrifty or diseased animals or animals that cannot produce IF those animals are purposed for some kind of production.

LOL everyone that owns a horse I guess should give up horses. :lol:

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Somehow Bossroo you just don't get it.
Is it less expensive for me to but milk from the grocery store? When I crunch the numbers, yes.
In my state I cannot legally buy Goats milk from anyone not a licensed dairy- not for human consumption.
Nor can I buy or sell cheese, nor are there shares.

Sorry, I'll pay more for what I produce. Quite frankly far too many are ignorant of withdrawal times, meds, health, disease, and zoonotic illnesses.
Even selling soap... yeah, unless it is a full time job and I make boatloads of soaps and lotions etc enough to cover my a$$ in insurance it is not worth it.
I know MY practices. There are only a handful of people that I would ever buy a food animal from.

Of course it is unwise and it is throwing money away to keep sick animals, unthrifty or diseased animals or animals that cannot produce IF those animals are purposed for some kind of production.

LOL everyone that owns a horse I guess should give up horses. :lol:
Yes, Southern et all, I GET IT in SPADES as I have been born and raised on a farm and earned "my get it" through a lifetime of been there , done that with blood , sweat and tears in earning every penny that I have made in the farming business. I have made a good living at it. I did not and do not like to throw good money after bad nor pay more taxes than I have to. Yes I raised several different types of livestock . I sold out when the market economic conditions have changed and they were no longer profitable and moved on to more profitable livestock at the time. Have you heard of survival of the fittest ? That is what farming is about. So I calls them as I sees them here and point out errors that many don't now see and/ or are making as Greybeard refers to as "stupid tax". Some here just don't " get it" and it is their right to do as they please right or wrong. Good luck to them !

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doing smart things will be encouraged by those that have been there done that. The statement that everyone should be raising for profit is what you aren't getting. Some people simply have a luxury livestock pet. I have many clients that have "pets" only and they spend a fortune on them... they do not wnnt a business they want enjoyment... like a dog, cat, horse etc.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doing smart things will be encouraged by those that have been there done that. The statement that everyone should be raising for profit is what you aren't getting. Some people simply have a luxury livestock pet. I have many clients that have "pets" only and they spend a fortune on them... they do not wnnt a business they want enjoyment... like a dog, cat, horse etc.
Have to agree, some people do not care and CAN AFFORD to spend money on things/animals I would consider ridiculous. Their priviledge to do so. But most who are on here from what I can see are trying to be mostly practical, and still want to ENJOY what they have. As @greybeard said, there are different ways to put different values on any interest or enterprise.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This has been interesting and I enjoy getting all of the different perspectives. We have a decent plan and hope to be break-even or at least not losing much in 3 years. Right now our sheep are worth about half of what we have in them but that accounting was all done long before we started with them.

We have just gotten to the experience level that we are just figuring out what we do not know but we have from the beginning had a couple of great mentors and of course BYH to get guidance from. We were fortunate that we were able to choose this life and able to do it our way.

We will be spending $1800 on a tilt table that we couldn't justify if we had not planned on all of this. Having had to man handle several ewes now that weigh almost as much as I do (that do not want to be handled) is all the justification I need and will keep it fun.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS We raised a lot of poultry and some breeds were very rare. We eventually discontinued them because it wasn't cost effective.
Bottom line is in our region everyone wants the chickens grandma had. Since they had not heard of these birds they were hesitant to buy something rare, and there was also the cost.
It would have been advantageous financially if I shipped eggs but I opted not to. Too much hassle and hatch rate is affected by too many things.

Goats are the least expensive animal on our farm to raise. The kikos being the most cost effective. Little time is needed and productivity is excellent, low feed cost especially if forage is available.

Dairy goats are so/so. Our unregistered goats end up being easier to sell.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bossroo Although I do respect you and your knowledge when it comes to running a business, you have to realize that this is "backyardherds". Not "making money with a few animals". Obviously most of us don't want to just throw money away… the dairy goats provide milk, cheese, soap, and meat. No nobody is bringing in big $. But truthfully most don't ever have the numbers to do so.

Most of us aren't willing to just ditch our animals when it's not working out either… cull, yes. Keep the top producers, yes. It is a homestead for some and a hobby for others.

You are right- can't make money off of a hobby. It wouldn't be a hobby then ;)

Curious- what type of livestock are you currently raising, numbers, and what is your profit? How much do you spend on care, feed, etc?

Perhaps if you were to start a thread on it you would have a different response and people would be more likely to listen.

Arguing with members on random threads isn't going to do much. If you really care about how people spend their money start a new topic. Teach people.

Also- sometimes it's best to take a few years to LEARN animals before you jump into it with both feet. I see MORE people lose money because they thought they'd turn it right into a business… but totally forgot the animal husbandry. You can have everything set up for success but if you don't know how to tell an animal is about to give birth, can't tell when they are sick, don't know how to milk, feed, butcher, etc. the list goes on… that also sets oneself up for failure and dumps $ down the toilet.

x2

Latest posts