Scale for weighing?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Alexz7272 Well I for one am glad you failed in that single one most important thing! :hugs:hugs:hugs
Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. There have been quite a few members that have been part of the BYH family that have some similar experiences.
There are so many that have goats/sheep/horses to help with PTSD, depression, and anxiety.
I am very touched by your openness. :hugs

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alrighty so it just arrived!! So the top is plastic & it did come with a plastic mat to go over it BUT we will be manufacturingnour own top from out stainless steel sheet stock to replace the plastic. Besides that, everything else seems awesome!
IMG_9591.JPG
IMG_9594.JPG
IMG_9592.JPG
IMG_9593.JPG
IMG_9596.JPG
IMG_9600.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
YAY!
I am surprised it is plastic topped. Is it very heavy duty?
We abuse everything here I can see us cracking plastic in the first week.:hide

We move our scale A LOT! Maybe if I have a central place there would be less risk.

So are you lovin' it!? :weee:weee:weee

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was kinda surprised by the plastic too and from my experiences with engineer grade plastics, this is not a very strong one. We beat things up like crazy too and there is no way it would last here very long. I didnt get a picture but it has a handle on one edge & wheels on the other so you can sit it up and push it into place, that was pretty neat! We'll probably move it alot too, so no way ate we keeping the plastic especially since it'll be outside and its gets so bitter cold here, I'd see it cracking too! But so far it works great and for thand price, I cannot complain!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
How does the scale work such that you can remove most of it (the platform) and replace it with something stronger? I'm sorta :hu

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably a case of it doesn't matter what the new top weighs--you just zero out the indicator and you're good to go.

I have to zero out my cattle scales every time I use them to account for poop, dirt, and 'just because. (an older model with 6 load cells under a floating platform)

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wasn't wondering about the weight of the plastic vs metal top but how the plastic top sits on / is fixed to whatever is doing the actual weighing such that it can be easily replaced. It can't just be 'floating' on top or it would get knocked off kilter every time an animal stepped and walked on it.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bruce The plastic is attached with a few hex screws from the bottom framing to the bottom of the plastic plate. We'll just unscrew them, take it off and attached the stainless directly to the bottom framing/weighing bars :)
Does that make sense? We'll be building a CAD model of it before we do it, I can always share that if anyone would like!

Latest posts