Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Totally agree with you @farmerjan !

@Senile_Texas_Aggie some libraries also have e-books that you can borrow. I'd much prefer holding an actual book when reading but most of the time I just read it on my phone. It's more convenient, especially at night, I don't have to turn on the light to read.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I want the feel of the book in my hands, not some electronic device... 'taint natural.

My favorite website for books is thriftbooks.com. If you don't mind a used book the site is very good. They have lots of "ex-library". I've gone through all of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series at $3.79 a book. Now I'm working my way through a few other authors with about a 50/50 split between fiction and non fiction. Free shipping over $10.00!

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
My favorite website for books is thriftbooks.com.

I'll check out that web site.

STA, a lot of libraries are part of a group, you can have a book you want sent to your local library from a larger library.

I'll stop by there and see what they have to offer.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do alot of my book buying at the local Goodwill stores. $1.00 for paperbacks, $2.00 for hard cover. Many of the hardbacks are ex-library too. It does take a little time to peruse the shelves and they are getting new books all the time. The Salvation Army store has them for $.50 for paperbacks. They are way on the other side of town and a pain to go through the traffic to get to, so I don't often go there. But I do hit the Goodwill stores and there are 2 that I go by frequently due to their location when I am testing. Then there are 3 when I head south to test those couple of herds so try to make sure I have time to stop most trips. I also buy 99% of my jeans there. $4.50 a pair sure beats even Walmart prices. I do donate to them too when I have decent stuff.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hide:hide:hide

Sorry that I left y’all hanging for that long. I meant to finish the story later that day or the next.

Anyway...acorn trees!

There’s a tree right off the deck that’s by the kitchen door. This is the door most people use to come and go from our house. Our first year here, there was this loud ping every so often. Turns out it was acorns falling and hitting the deck.

DH was discussing his discovery with my dad. They are both engineers and were talking about the sound the acorns make, etc. DH then mentioned that he’d rather have oak trees instead of acorn trees since the acorns fall and cause the noise and mess on the deck.

I thought my dad was going to fall down from shock. His jaw dropped open then he started laughing and couldn’t stop. DH has no idea what this was all about. I finally asked what they were talking about and DH started saying some of the comments and mentioned acorn trees again. I started laughing. My mom was then added to the conversation and couldn’t stop laughing either. DH was still lost.

We finally stopped laughing enough for one of us explained that acorns come from oak trees and that there is no such thing as acorn trees before busting out in stitches again.

DH was in shock. No one had ever said anything to give him any idea that oak trees and acorns were synonymous. Acorn trees are still a good joke around here.

I hope I’ve finally provided you with a good laugh and redeemed myself.