SHEEP ADDICTS ANONYMOUS

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Keep going like that and you'll be real glad you're getting the acreage next door. :D Of course you'll have no room for hay fields o_O

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
...2 of the 5 I mentioned before, not out of the 5 I recently got. So it was 5 new and kept 2 of those. Then got 3 new and kept. And lastly 2 more new and kept. Which makes 7 in all.

Just read my post and it seemed off, so tried to better word it, but may of just made it worse...lol.

Oh well, a trailer full! Close enough!

And since I have that land now, I can add a 4th new ram! But not this year! Don't want to mess with that just yet.

Technically, I could possibly do 6 rams/breeding groups, if I divided up the barn just right....So many sheep...so many lambs.....will be so hard to keep up with! They are tiny but so gosh darned fast! =0

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I didn't really need a *cough* 4th *cough* cormo ram but I kind of did and he was the right price and he fit in my car so he came home with me.

I'm sort of half heartedly looking for a jacob ram too. Pretty soon I'll have enough rams that each ewe can have her own :lol:

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks a good set up.....but my lot are SO daft they would definitely get their heads through (and not back). I have had to extract one lamb from the fence about 8 times.....she can get her head through, but not back. Somewhat forgiven in that she is a Blue Faced Leicester and the ears will go one way and not so well the other. Equally so with horned lambs.

Trouble is, if the holes are big enough for the head to go through and come back with ease, then there's loads of waste.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well,since I was and still am addicted to sheep so I whent into the venture as a ranch for profit. I bought 100 or more ewes at a time. I had more ewes than all of those sheep mentioned above by x10 + ++ per year. My Suffolk rams and 1 Ramboulet ram (to sire replacement ewes only ) to Ramboulett and Corriedale ewe , plus purebred Suffolk ewe band with a density in breeding groups was 1 ram to 30+ ewes. All x bred lambs and Ramboullet males were wheathered and sold. I BBQed whole lambs for a number of functions per year. When the market for wool crashed, I sold out as it became unprofitable to be in the sheep business. Now that I am retired and if I was to raise sheep again, the best sheep to raise in this day and age of the industry would be the Dorper as this sheep has the best qualities to turn a profit under today's economy.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Started with one ewe lamb in 2006, now I'm up to 28 sheep and one goat after slowly growing my flock the past couple years with homegrown ewe lambs. I'm about to cut my flock down to have some spending cash, my fiance and I are buying a house with 7.2 acres and these sheep need a barn and a fence over there. My old and injured (my 2006 and 2009 ewes plus Rosie, with a torn prepubic tendon) will stay at my parent's; my dad likes the sheep and taking care of them, and here they won't be bred (which would be nice for them). So I will be culling my flock to my most productive ewes (probably 5-7 of them) and purchasing a new ram to breed them to (I'm thinking Texel). I have three ewe lambs I want to keep, plus some of the other 2013-2015 ewes. And then growing my flock back up to 20-30 ewes, depending on how much land he'll let me have for the sheep :)

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, i don't have any sheep. ( :( ) None, Nada, Zero, Zilch, Nothin'. BUT! soon... verry soon hopefully.
I'm working towards getting a bunch of Katahdin ewes and a ram. Like 10 total is what I'm thinking right now but we'll see. At first I'll just get 2 or 3 ewes and exchange labor for breeding services with one of the local sheep farms. Then someday I'll have my own ram. Either Katahdin(preferred) or Dorper. My goal is to sell young lambs for meat or breeding.
So, I'm starting my own sheep addiction story. It'll be fun! (and hopefully not too expensive XD)

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow you all have a bunch of sheep! I have only had at most 5 at a time. If I had it my way there would be like 50. But sadly we dont have room for that many. This year I will be having more than one ewe pregnant at a time so that will be different as I have had one lamb ayear for 4 years.

Latest posts