SheepGirl's 2012 Lambing Thread

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
77Herford said:
Nice sheep, I'm sure they'll be fine. Your favorite ewe is a beauty.
Thanks!

greenbean said:
They are sooo cute! :love
Thanks!

-----

Sometime within the next couple of weeks I will be trimming their hooves and I will be putting a "how to trim sheep/goat hooves" page up so everyone who doesn't know how will have the opportunity to learn. I can get trim them now, I'm just waiting for my mom or dad to come down and photograph me when they have time. But it should be up sooner than later :)

BTW -- since I think my ewe is bred now, she is receiving her early gestation ration. Currently, in addition to the mediocre pasture, she is receiving about 1/2 lb of hay per day (with a handful of grain to coax her in the barn :p).

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love pictures! I have a hard time determining if my ewes "look" pregnant. I sometimes can't really see it until the udders develop, then I know it's getting close. My one ewe that should be due April 6th was a bit on the fat side to begin with, so I really can't tell if she "looks" pregnant right now. It is so exciting and I just love lambing season! After seeing the pictures online, I just wish it was April. The little wether that was bottle fed is a cutie.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Southdown said:
I love pictures! I have a hard time determining if my ewes "look" pregnant. I sometimes can't really see it until the udders develop, then I know it's getting close. My one ewe that should be due April 6th was a bit on the fat side to begin with, so I really can't tell if she "looks" pregnant right now. It is so exciting and I just love lambing season! After seeing the pictures online, I just wish it was April. The little wether that was bottle fed is a cutie.
Well I have plenty of pictures coming! :D Haha. Well you're about two months out, so you shouldn't have really seen any noticeable signs yet. Now that she's in the last "trimester" of her pregnancy, you will definitely begin to notice her weight gain. Lambing season is very exciting and I'm jealous you'll have lambs almost two months before me :p lol

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
UPDATED PICTURES! I can safely assume that she is now one month bred because I haven't noticed her seeking out the rams...or she could not be bred and she just stopped cycling because it was the end of breeding season for her. But I don't know. :hu

Well, today it was snowing...well it is snowing. It's been snowing for like the past three hours or so already. It's a shame that I never remember to bring the camera when there's no snow on the ground. Oh well. :) And the sheep were outside grazing. In the snow, while it was snowing. When there's beautiful green grass hay in the barn. If I were a sheep, I'd be eating the hay...not only because it's better than the pasture right now, but because I wouldn't want my lips to be cold from being in the snow! Lol...Enjoy the new pictures!

My little goofball of a wether, Paulie, eating some feed
4485_dscn0228.jpg

And here he is again...
4485_dscn0242.jpg

Some pictures of the flock
The white sheep in the back, from left to right are my neighbor's 3/4 Babydoll ewe and my 3/4 Babydoll ewe. The white ewe in front is my ewe, Ciqala, the bred one. The three black sheep standing in a row are all purebred Babydoll Southdowns. The black guy in front is my wether Paulie.
4485_dscn0244.jpg

Three black sheep in the back are the purebred Babydolls. The black guy in front is Paulie. The white ewe in the middle is my 3/4 Babydoll. The white girl next to her is my neighbor's 3/4 Babydoll ewe.
4485_dscn0250.jpg

The ewe on the far left is my bred ewe. The white ewe on the far right is my 3/4 Babydoll ewe. The black one behind her is Paulie. The white ewe in the middle is my neighbor's 3/4 Babydoll ewe. All the other black ewes are the purebred Babydolls.
4485_dscn0254.jpg

Now of my ewe - her "official" one-month bred pictures.

Rear
4485_dscn0234.jpg

Side - She looks like she's gotten bigger. But I think it's just because she's not as stretched out as she was in the initial pictures I took of her.
4485_dscn0238.jpg

Edited for spelling errors.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
5960_100_0131.jpg

This is Daisy, who is due April 6th. This will be her first time. She doesn't really look that pregnant to me, but we have two more months to go yet. This is just a side view of her body from today.

Southdown

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
5960_100_0143.jpg

This is another ewe that is pregnant. I'm not as certain on her due date, but it should be end of Feb./early March. She actually does look pregnant in real life. I'm thinking she may have twins because she looks wide on both sides. Her babies will be 1/2 suffolk and 1/2 babydoll. I will be gone for work, so my husband will be the one home when she births. I'm hoping she holds out a little longer because I don't want to miss it. Does anyone know if they would lamb earlier or later when having twins v.s. single?

Paulie is cute.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Gestation is the same whether they have twins or a single. Sometimes though, they could go *slightly* early if they have multiples, but probably only by a few days or so.

SheepGirl, I'm totally jealous of your snow. We didn't get any here!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Gestation is the same whether they have twins or a single. Sometimes though, they could go *slightly* early if they have multiples, but probably only by a few days or so.
Yep, I agree.

aggieterpkatie said:
SheepGirl, I'm totally jealous of your snow. We didn't get any here!
:D

But it all melted by 1 pm on Sunday :( So it didn't stay around too long. But it was nice while it lasted!

I'm sure you'll get some snow soon!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
SheepGirl, how on Earth can you tell them apart from a distance?
I only have 3, black is a ram. But the two whites, if one wasn't missing the ear tag, I would never know them apart...