ShepherdO's First Lambing - Pics included :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just completed my 4th lambing. We had 9 ewes have 15 lambs, lost two and have 13 lambs. 7 boys, 5 girls. I cut the boys and name them all Dinner. LOL One of the girls is a runt, beautifully marked, but a runt. She will wind up on someone's plate. We have had pretty good luck with lambing, but usually lose a few. I haven't had to "go fishing" for lambs, at least not yet.

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nice. I have 8 ewes, with 2 to go. In reality the only to who've needed 'fishing' so far have been two older ewes which I bred for the first time against advice, so it was my own fault, really. All the others have been fine, including 2 other first-timers.

I have two more to go, and they've either 3 days overdue or about 2.5 weeks away! I'm thinking, however, that it's 3 days over b/c my katahdin (yes!) has some mucus hanging out at the moment, so hopefully she's going to lamb tonight! She's had a tiny vulca thus far, but she's been swelling out today, and redening with the vulva opening a bit, so HOPEFULLY this is the real thing, and she was in early false labour earlier in the week.

Either that, or she's going to be aborting dead triplets in the next 12 hours. I hope not. If they're alive I intend to NOT let there be any more dead lambs on my farm - I will be brave and do an internal, although I struggle to imagine how I'm going to fit my arm in... it's like a mini goat's...