Show Goat Supply Recommendations

ffa.okie.4h

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What supplies do you use/recommend for Show Goats? What supplies should I invest in? What (in your opinion) was a waste of money? What was your best investment? Do you have any tips for using these products? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For any kind of showing, I'd invest in a good set of clippers. Don't go cheap, they wear out faster/get dull. I've only shown horses, but my Andis clippers are still going for the last 16 years.
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, my high schooler is looking into showing our Nubians and I'd like to see how this one plays out. Great question!
Can I ask what part of OK you're in (doesn't need to be specific or anything)? We are near Lawton.

ffa.okie.4h

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Norman. We show Several breeds of Dairy Goats, Boers, Rabbits, Poultry, and Cattle.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would say if you will be showing milkers you will want a portable milkstand!
Up til recently we only showed juniors, now that we have seniors to show it is a necessity.
You will need it to touch up those udders and to milk your goats.

Baby wipes- for cleaning tail webs
A grooming brush for getting straw, sawdust, debris etc out of their coat

Disinfectants for cleaning your pens

And as others have mentioned- clippers

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would say if you will be showing milkers you will want a portable milkstand!
Oh duh! We called 'em 'grooming tables' cuz we weren't milking pygmies, lol. We also tarped all our pens to keep the commotion at a minimum and to try to keep strange goats from rubbing noses. Not sure it did a whole lot of good, but we thought/hoped it did. :)

Extra halters and leads. Hoof nippers and those neat little hoof planes for leveling 'em out...I knew folks that would bring disinfectant and made their goats walk through it before they took 'em home. Again - maybe overkill...but it made 'em feel better.

I had a little wagon for transporting my show box, feed, hay and and my stand. And, a wash stand that my former (d)H built for me. It was like a grooming stand but with sides, but without legs so they couldn't jump around so much during a bath.

Always carried a first aid kit...a few meds...and water from home. My goats were spoiled to country water and wouldn't touch city water for nuttin'.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh duh! We called 'em 'grooming tables' cuz we weren't milking pygmies, lol. We also tarped all our pens to keep the commotion at a minimum and to try to keep strange goats from rubbing noses. Not sure it did a whole lot of good, but we thought/hoped it did. :)

Extra halters and leads. Hoof nippers and those neat little hoof planes for leveling 'em out...I knew folks that would bring disinfectant and made their goats walk through it before they took 'em home. Again - maybe overkill...but it made 'em feel better.

I had a little wagon for transporting my show box, feed, hay and and my stand. And, a wash stand that my former (d)H built for me. It was like a grooming stand but with sides, but without legs so they couldn't jump around so much during a bath.

Always carried a first aid kit...a few meds...and water from home. My goats were spoiled to country water and wouldn't touch city water for nuttin'.

Yep- we do lots of tarps! We bring crates for baby goats. LOL It seems like there is so much to take.
We do have stuff just for the shows- they stay in bins.
This way nothing is left short for the goats at home-
having water buckets ( bring your own water if possible) like FEM said
feed buckets etc

Latest posts