Sick goat, stumped vet

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Headed to the vet in three hours. We've been up with Schmoo several times tonight. The more I read about m-worm the more convinced I am that's what is wrong. When I just went in he had his head turned far to the right and can't seem to straighten it out. I realized he hasn't passed any droppings since this afternoon, though his diaper was wet. He hasn't eaten either, so?

From articles I've read it sounds like even with treatment at this stage, if he were to survive, he likely wouldn't lead a normal life running or even walking or standing. So I'm fairly certain we will have him put down in the morning. He was my little blue eyed tiny dream goatie. I feel like I'm letting down my friend that gave him to me and that he never had a chance at life. This part of a farm always sucks.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. :)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Losing an animals always sucks when it isnt for a purpose.

See what the vet says before you decide. I think your friend will probly understand.

Also keep in mind when a normally good mother rejects a baby it CAN be because they sense something terminal is wrong with the baby.

Last edited:

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. By this morning he couldn't move any part of his body and would just cry real quiet once in a while. His temp was down to 95 by the time we got to the vet and that was wrapped in warm blankets in hubbys lap with the heater going.

He doesn't know what the diagnosis is, said there are so many illnesses and diseases with similar symptoms that a necropsy is the only way to know. He doesn't do them and we would have had to drive to the state vet a couple hours away. We loved Schmoo and want an answer but to be honest, I'm not driving that far. I have two sets of contractors working on our house, a third scheduled to come in today and a fourth on the way to do a quote for carpet. I just dont have time. It sounds horrible and I hate it, but it's sadly how it is.

My friend understands. She also said his mom, grandma and two siblings died recently. Related to his death? Who knows. Genetic maybe? Either way the only right thing to do was to let him go.

Fly free my sweet little blue eyed Schmoo

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear he went down hill so fast and I'm glad your friend understands.

Many many people don't do necrospy, its a personal or financial or time choice, we all only have so much of those things. At the end of the day it wouldn't change much except to be sure of what made him the way he was, without other livestock i wouldn't get a necrospy either. Even with necrospy we have chosen more then once not to send an animal out for one and to do our own but that often leads to an unsure finding too.