1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Snake Identification?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AmberLops, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Jun 27, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

@AmberLops. ...now hold on here...you won't take a worm out of a rabbit....but you like snakes and sharks...:ep:lol::lol::lol::gig....:highfive:.

2. Jun 27, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

HA HA HA!!
    When you put it that way I sound like an idiot :lol::lol:
    But snakes and sharks are not gross...and worms are nasty! :gig Am I right??

CntryBoy777 and B&B Happy goats like this.
  3. Jun 27, 2019
    animalmom

animalmom Herd Master

I tend to go all biblical on snakes... any snake especially if it startles me. W use to get rat snakes close to the house and I try to look for them so I am not startled. At least the rat snake is doing something useful.

We get a real thin green ribbon snake thing that likes the water garden. He's a fast one and doesn't seem to bother the fish so he ok as long as ....

Rattlesnakes get dispatched as soon as spotted. I don't parse out that they eat mice and rats. Don't care. Shotgun works real well. Egg stealers get beheaded with prejudice. Chickens like dead snakes after a couple days in the chicken yard to soften up the snake.

4. Jun 27, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

Bot fly larvae IS nasty :sick......ever open the belly of a shark......NASTY........ever see a snake with one of your chicken eggs swallowing it whole....Nasty.....:lol:
    @AmberLops

5. Jun 27, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

I like @animalmom s going biblical on snakes ! :clap

AmberLops and CntryBoy777 like this.
  6. Jun 27, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

I used to have many of the same thoughts....as I was growing up and up to the early 90s....then, I decided to do some research and "get to know them" a bit better....I learned a whole lot from a reptile magazine....and I got my 3 snakes to raise....ball python, milk snake, and a western hog nosed.....learned so much with them and was very sad to let them go, but just didn't tend to them after my 2nd heart attack.....they were My pets and Joyce refused to feed them.....but watched it every single time....:)

7. Jun 27, 2019
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady Herd Master

The Rat Patrol has taken a few eggs over the years, I can't deny that. But I know it has taken out lots and lots of rats, too - I figure it's a trade-off. I make a point of checking for eggs just about every time I'm in the area of the coop (2 - 3 times per day), so I don't miss many. Something else I don't miss is the rat poop and pee all over everything:sick, and stuff getting chewed up:somad . . . like I said, a trade-off.

"Cute" isn't quite the word I use; (s)he's a 6-footer. There's a 3-foot Green Rat Snake that we see regularly, too; I call that one "JRatC. " There's also a Black Racer that we call "Speed" that we see a lot, but not in or around the chicken coop (it's too small to manage the big eggs that my girls lay, at least for the time being). No, I'm not totally bonkers, but I am a firm believer in "better the devil you know." Copperheads are common as mud around here, we also have Water Moccasins and 3 kinds of rattlesnakes (not to mention Coral Snakes). I figure, since we seem to have an abundance of snake food living around here, I'd prefer to have non-venomous snake neighbors eating it. :idunno

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  8. Jun 27, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

I have two now, DD just picked up another for me. First getting old but still doing the job! Mine are Machete. :lol:

Don't want to see any as they won't just stay with mice!! So, not welcome. Cats can do the mice for me!!

9. Jun 27, 2019
    AmberLops

Ha ha you're terrible! I'm sure all that is gross but nothing comes close to the bot fly larvae....:lol:

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  10. Jun 27, 2019
    AmberLops

I love snakes...I went to a reptile expo in May and I almost bought a snake that I fell in love with. It was beautiful....an albino boa. I'll get one some day. They are actually very easy to get attached to!
    I like African House Snakes....those are pretty neat too :)

B&B Happy goats and CntryBoy777 like this.