Something that's starting to bug me....

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm a little late for this party, but I just found the thread....

I hear the same things a lot...but also get, "Good thing you don't work full time."

Oh, really? I DON'T?

I do only work at an 'outside' job 2-4 days per week...by choice.

But every day I am up early and up late, taking care of the farm...the animals and gardens aren't taking care of themselves...neither does the house / laundry / etc. The feed / hay aren't self-stacking, and then there are the 'pets' with and without cages / crates to keep clean / fed.

We have neighbors that go 'camping' every weekend, and take a few full weeks off every summer to go in their big luxury camper complete w/ tv, satellite, beds, a/c, etc....to me, that's not really camping, that's going visiting and taking your hotel room w/ you.....

But I digress....often they say to us, "If you didn't have all those animals, you'd be free to go with us."

They do not 'get' that the animals ARE my getaway. I find reasons to go to / be in the barn even when I'm caught up w/ chores....this is my
'happy place'...

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
But isn't it funny how it really doesn't feel like work when it's something you love to do!

I'd love to quit my 40 hr desk job for a part time gig and go full time at home. Right now everything's a mess and I feel as though things are slipping out from under me.

Makes me feel as though I went to college for nothing....spent lots of $$ (and still paying!) and all I want to do is stay at home with the animals. :rolleyes:

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
...We have neighbors that go 'camping' every weekend, and take a few full weeks off every summer to go in their big luxury camper complete w/ tv, satellite, beds, a/c, etc....to me, that's not really camping, that's going visiting and taking your hotel room w/ you.....
Just have to say AMEN to that!

These are the people who tell you it's good you don't work full time!

greeneggsandham

Just born
Reaction score
At my last job I had this guy every week would start in about the little farm I have. He would say "I can't believe you waste your time with stinky animals", "there are better things that you can do with your "extra" time", and loads of other crap.
Finally one day I was not in a good mood and this dummy started in again. He ended his rant with "Why? why do you waste your time with raising animals". Well I looked him straight in the eye and said "because it keeps my mind busy so I'm not thinking of more was to torture annoying people like YOU! He never said another to me after that. :lol:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
A guy asked me this past week how I found time to work full time and care for "all these animals"....I just smiled sweetly and said, "I seem to have plenty of time now that I don't have a husband."

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
"Good thing you don't work full time."

Oh, really? I DON'T?
aint that right!

i had someone visiting me and while i was entertaining them on our deck (with a twitch in my eye thinking of all the chores i was SUPPOSED to be doing) they said, "so is this all you do? sit around and watch the chickens?"

um. no. everything that is on your plate we grew or butchered ourselves.

i used to travel a lot. now i rarely go anywhere and when folks ask me if i miss my big luxury vacations i just tell them that 'everyday is a vacation for me...why would i want to go anywhere?'