Something that's starting to bug me....

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Its amazing huh....how people think we didnt choose to do this??? No one forced us to be farmers!!! LOL I hear all the time "you shouldnt work so hard" and I say... "Its not hard work when you love it!!!"

There has been many invitations my husband and I declined on the weekends..cuz we rather be HOME working on the farm...I love my goats and chickens, more than some people I know LOL!! And I really enjoy their company. Their unconditional..they dont ask us ridiculous questions about our choices!! They just love us!!!

We truly love being self sufficient...Sometimes I dont even go to the grocery store for weeks...I have a resturant supplier I can buy bulk Flour and oats etc from...I make my own bread weekly and barley buy anything at the store. My husband made me a root cellar and I "can" almost everything in the fall..so we have alot of good stuff all winter.

As my Dad use to say to me all the time "Idle hands are the devils workshop" Stay busy!!!

PS I like the statement too "Its a farm thing" Cuz it is!!! LOL

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It must be "a farm thing" - where do these people think the stuff they buy from the grocery store comes from, anyway? "Ignorance is bliss?" Sounds like we all know a bunch of blissfully ignorant people!
My friends have come around since I tend to talk more about my critters; now they want to bring their children to the 'farm' and see what it's all about. I may make a few converts along the way. I have a cousin that is into organic & farm fresh, healthy stuff, so she's ready & waiting for my pullets to start laying!
LIFE IS GOOD, DOWN ON THE FARM!

mabeane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I chose to do this in retirement after a long illness. It makes some of my friends crazy! You NEED to take it easy. haha This was the easiest thing I could think of and keep my sanity.
Goatmama to 5 wonderful Nigies!

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have to admit, some days in my life it's been the animals that keep me going.

If they are sick, I have to focus on THEIR problems and not mine. If I'm down, they always make me laugh. If in lonely or missing someone, they are great company. And even if you don't feel like getting out of bed, you have to so you can take cate of them.

I think they are natural stress-reducers (LOL though at rimes, natural stress-INDUCERS), and also good for enforced exercise and providing healthful products for food.

They are good for me. :). For a lot of us. :)

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We bought our farm a few years ago. It was a dream of mine. I grew up working on my aunt's cattle and horse farm as a kid. I almost always had chickens, even when I lived in the city.

People ask if I like my farm. I say I am working longer and harder than I ever have and I have never been happier. My real friends smile.

When I got chickens when I lived on 1/4 of an acre in the city my coworkers asked if I was worried the neighbors would think I was crazy. I said not doing something I wanted to do because of what someone else thought......that would be crazy.

All my friends say they are heading to my house when there is a disaster. I tell them they had better not come empty handed and be ready to work.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pssst.gif
Keep this under your hat...

I think there is something terribly wrong with people who don't yearn to have a good sized piece of property, a garden, a few chickens and maybe some goats or other livestock in their yard. How can they survive without such things in their lives?

We ought to indeed feel sorry for those that can't understand our need to be close to our agricultural roots.

Life began in the garden.

FarmerCouple.gif

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I never put it to words, but I've had the same kind of thoughts, Rebbetzin. How could you not want something like that? I guess I don't understand the total urban types that are happy living in a high-rise apartment building and never seeing a blade of grass, much less animals other than cats, dogs, and rats.

I couldn't live that way. I can't even say it'd be a nice place to visit. I don't think I'd want to spend ANY time in a huge city.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I never put it to words, but I've had the same kind of thoughts, Rebbetzin. How could you not want something like that? I guess I don't understand the total urban types that are happy living in a high-rise apartment building and never seeing a blade of grass, much less animals other than cats, dogs, and rats.

I couldn't live that way. I can't even say it'd be a nice place to visit. I don't think I'd want to spend ANY time in a huge city.
Your post reminded me of the story of the City Mouse and the County Mouse. Maybe it is genetic? I believe in "Genetic Memory"

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I dunno. My family is from the country. Farmers, hunters. Good bit of Cherokee blood. My mother moved us into the city growing up and I never liked it. It seems looking back like gray, depressing years. The bright spots were the times (thankfully very frequently) that I stayed with my grandparents.

I can enjoy day trips to a city like Dallas or even LA. I think I'd freak if I was ever in a place like New York City or Tokyo.

Give me some open space, clean air, sky overhead, lots of green stuff growing around me and I can breathe and be at peace. :)

I guess I can't even understand the opposite point of view.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What's very strange is that I have a twin sister who's the complete opposite of me. Lives in Phoenix, AZ - right on the Scottsdale border, and I find I can't breathe when I come to visit her. It's not because of the heat, but the city (You should see me try to drive in our cities - it's quite funny!). When she comes home, she doesn't know what to do, even though there's plenty of things like raking out the goat barn, feeding the chickens, or just sitting back and watching everyone. Luckily, she's NOT one of the ones who constantly obsesses about the amount of pets...err....animals we have around our house. I think she just gets it. She even had her 'Save the Date' wedding photo taken at my house in the winter with the cows in the background because it was so serene.

I wish there were more people around like her....