Sore hocks

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You have to hammer those in? The staples are very hard to get in. I thinking about buying some sort of used nail gun. I have carpal tunnel and using all sorts of tools and aggravates it. And the mower and weed whacker too. But I can probably hammer those in easier than that stapler! My dad built that cage out of scrap, and it had chicken wire for the bottom which I soon replaced with hardware cloth. Then upgrade to the 1x1.5. That's the cheap wire there from lowes. I will try to build some better cages in spring, but asap I need to take the low cages and put them on high legs. The high cages the water doesn't freeze but all the lower ones do. So the scrap cage my daddy built about 5 years ago is the best. I don't have his carpenter skills, and he isn't going to help me build cages. He thinks I'm going overboard on the rabbits and afraid we will have some trouble with the city. I am going to put a long hutch on the dark side of the garage but I am going to put a solid wall where it would be visible from the alley. So it would just look like a shelter part you would store stuff. I have a rain barrel set up back there that is unsightly too, so this would hide everything on that side or at least that is what I'm thinking. The other option would be I piece of fence but you have to get approval for a fence, I have raspberries back there that need the sun, and I think a piece of fence may cost more than a nice piece of plywood with cheap siding or nicely painted. I plan on using the corragated metal roofing the other option would be just a piece of that. Just to hide the hutch cause it comes out on the alley there. My raspberries will help cover it but only late spring to late fall.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes ma'am they get hammered in. I have something wrong with my right elbow. Too hard-headed to go to the Dr. Doing much right-handed has hurt since November. Nail guns are dangerous. read that twice and remember it. My friend, my bro in law each nailed themselves to a board. It's not as hard to do as you think. And it hurts like he77. SAFETYGLASSES are required.
You have a lot happening there and if the wrong people start snooping is it worth the fine and hassle? I get it, it's fun but I had to rein myself in. Energy , health and money slow me now.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I do want to be able to pay for my rabbits with rabbits. And also have enough for meat, so I do need room. If I have the big hutch I'm planning I should have enough room. And the meat is a must, sorry still don't trust what's going on. I got an email from the state the other day, they are going to start training people for the block chain. Pretty soon every grape and coffee bean will have a bar code. I'm not eating cricket protein. I know my best bet is to get out somewhere that I can have some land, and trust me I'm working on it. But in the meantime if that's not soon enough and everything goes to the left, I want to be able to feed my family. I don't think anyone will mess with me but I don't want to attract attention. Better safe than sorry. Besides I like my rabbits. Makes me an urban farmer!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What's a block chain? I understand your concerns. I've got a couple weeks worth of canned and dryed food plus bottled water. Enough propane lantern canisters, candles, batteries. Kerosene backup heater. Keep 100 lbs of pellets, buy 2 bales when I need one. Sanitizer,toilet paper even before the pandemic. My biggest problem and I'll loose my mind is going to be coca-cola. Ever since my cousin went thru hurricane Andrew in Florida and the ball drop in Puerto Rico I've been backing up my backups. Can't rely on Red Cross, FEMA not even sure I would want to.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Block chain is high tech way of controling everything. It will give the technocrats so much control over the food system. It is real and coming fast.
Screenshot_20210209-210832_Google.jpg

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ha coca cola!! Your so funny! Wouldn't make it in my house. No pop! I tell my kids just because it tastes good doesn't mean it's good for you! I drink tea though. Expensive tea. But I don't have any other vices. I don't know what is going to happen, but I certainly worry about it. I always prep some any smart person does. But I never really feared anything like now. Now I am scared of the government take over and them starving people out. It can easily be laugh if everyone just grew and produced a bit of food. But people are stupid and lazy now and only like stuff that tastes good and is fast and cheap even if it is killing them. Like you say if shtf I doubt any of it would help cuz in the city they taking your stuff anyway. That's why we need to help people to grow food and preserve it. Share seeds and plants. Community gardens. You see I need to move! But if they cut off the food supply and the electric stuff will get crazy fast. Here if people decide to go crazy and riot and tear everything up there's nothing anyone can do. We have already seen that. So I just try to be aware and be prepared but also pray for the best. If people can just wake up, they couldn't get away with anything.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Crazy Dr told Mom give him some soda it will help the colic. I been belching for 50 plus years. I'm hooked.
Shtf my heart will take me out. Lack of a.c. will finish my wife less I get to her first over that last bottle of Dr Pepper. She's hooked too.
Save your seeds, silver coins, if you don't have one get one.If you have one make sure you truly know to use it. Have an escape plan. Kids and Dad only. Everybody don't need to know your business.
We had a community garden before it ever got to be pc. Lot out back was undeveloped. Sweet older woman bought it. I helped her all year doing something. Thanks to her I understand the working end of a hoe. People pass on. Big house now. Yep folks are lazy. Quick to beg.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well it doesn't get cold there right? Here I would love a rex fur scarf with rex fur lined gloves. So cold my friend from Cali says he needs rabbit fur undies!! He makes fun of me cuz I wear alot of wool and talk about my alpaca socks. But for real it is real cold here, can't keep my feet warm no matter what, I could see lining a good pair of boots in rex fur. The thing with the rex fur it doesn't shed like regular skins right? Besides it is wonderfully velvety.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it doesn't get cold there right? Here I would love a rex fur scarf with rex fur lined gloves. So cold my friend from Cali says he needs rabbit fur undies!! He makes fun of me cuz I wear alot of wool and talk about my alpaca socks. But for real it is real cold here, can't keep my feet warm no matter what, I could see lining a good pair of boots in rex fur. The thing with the rex fur it doesn't shed like regular skins right? Besides it is wonderfully velvety.
I think it will shed if you do the process wrong, that's true of any fur/pelt. The area I'm at it has only gotten down to the 30s at night a handful of times, it's mostly only down to the 40s. We still have a little bit of winter left and then it should warm up again.

I think a Rex fur collar on a jacket would be nice, or a blanket. Although a blanket would be heavy. I might make a pillow cover but I am not sure if the dogs and cats would behave.

Latest posts