Southern by Choice's Teaching Moments- Indoor LGD! Badger

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He looks very stocky:)... always hard to tell how big these dogs are in pics if no scale in which to judge it by.
Amy is our stocky girl- within the height standard just short compared to all our others... she is very powerful though... yet the biggest baby ever. We adore her.

Just love a pyr! They are very special dogs.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I just came back and re-visited this thread because this picture was on the web marquee from @Ferguson K :

01717_ljjaqg5xd6a_600x450-jpg.12299

"Southern, I think I found a partner for the LGD we are waiting on adoption approval on. This little guy is a started five month old. She thinks he's already 40+ lbs. He will be a monster... He's a little watcher"

So what became of this? Did you get him? Huh? HUH? And what's the status of the adoption? Inquiring minds want... no NEED... to know! ;)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just came back and re-visited this thread because this picture was on the web marquee from @Ferguson K :

01717_ljjaqg5xd6a_600x450-jpg.12299

"Southern, I think I found a partner for the LGD we are waiting on adoption approval on. This little guy is a started five month old. She thinks he's already 40+ lbs. He will be a monster... He's a little watcher"

So what became of this? Did you get him? Huh? HUH? And what's the status of the adoption? Inquiring minds want... no NEED... to know! ;)

I didn't see this...

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Back on page 7 from Nov 13

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are still LGD empty here for a few reasons.

Three farm dogs ( chuhuahua, german shepherd, pit bull... All male... ) missing in less than six months and one dead cat. We also had two goats stolen earlier last year ( a buckskin NG and a black NG, both bucks) I don't know if this rain of terror is over yet.

I'm still looking. But I'm wary yet. We've got applications in with several rescues. I work 12 hour days, I'm gone 14+ hours a day. I don't have time to start a puppy. I go days between seeing the livestock and rely heavily on the support of my husband. His first dog is a dog that came pretrained and six years old ( mine. ) All of our dogs I already owned when he moved in. I don't want to have to rely on him training a LGD puppy.

When the time is right... Until then I just drool over dogs and wish.

I almost adopted an Anatolian from the shelter a couple of weeks ago. Someone adopted him before I could get a day off to get down there. I hope they know what they got into. Work should start slowing down soon. That will help.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow @Ferguson K that is awful!:ep
Me thinks you need dogs like my Amy, Eliza, and Chunk... heck ain't nobody stealing nothing... they cannot be bribed either. They would have to shoot them to get past them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I had a heck of a dog day yesterday!

Um... lets just say things did not go as planned yesterday afternoon. No stalls done , no udders clipped. We are kidding as early as Friday and I am not ready- have 4 goats due starting 15th, 2 on the 16th, and one on the 17th.

I can tell you that "Silver" our smallest "pup" (not small by any means) can quite easily take on a small pack of coyotes by himself. :th

Don't even ask.:somad

I can also tell you Not Leo weighs 125 lbs. He is solid... I thought he was 130-135... He is "D" to the T! :)
He is also a very solid guardian.
He is also on a round of antibiotics. :\ Also caught a stinky ear so now that is being treated as well. :\

I can also tell you Chunk is one of the best dogs in the world. DD and I love that dog so much... well we all do. He is truly amazing and I am thankful to have a dog like him.DD and I can say anything to him and he will do exactly as we say... he has an unusual ability not only to guard his field, his goats, but also to be completely in tune to whatever we need when we need it. He steals my heart. He is on the "D" caliber. Sometimes I wish I could have this dog by my side every minute... he is so soulful, intuitive, loyal, and a truly trustworthy dog... Chunk will end up being one of my all time greatest dogs of my life. I can tell.

I can also tell you I am glad for good neighbors that forgive you when you have a massive Great Pyr tearing across the property in full throttle barking and not happy he was on "our side of the road"... no incidents... thankfully the dog is not people aggressive and stopped 6 ft from him barking ... he did retreat when we called. Long story how that happened but it was the mutt Lucy's fault. :somad

I can also tell you if someone else was available I would be directing you to a link of how to break up a fight. :mad: One reason why leads are always hanging on fences.
It was classic textbook and very smooth BUT it is very hard when both people are 90/100 lbs and the dogs are 125-130 pounds with power that make them like they are 250 lbs each. Believe me when I say it takes incredible strength.

I can also tell you Trouble ( first up to kid- mini mancha is dropping.

I can also tell you that Leah can walk right under the dogs. But it works better when she walks under their belly between front and rear legs. Since she is 2 feet wide right now it does not work going between "Not Leo's" front legs!
hystery.gif
Kinda too wide to make it through.

Haven't had any time with the dogs... they are trained so no biggy but I missed them it really has been about 2 weeks with just feeding and moving through so not any loving time really. There may have been a day in there but I can't remember it. Got some time while waiting for a visitor on Sunday.... it was so nice to just love on the group!

Also I want to point out ... Not Leo has NOT been in the house since an itty bitty pup... he has been out of his field. When he was brought up to the house their was zero hesitation, complete confidence- came right in greated everyone and proceeded to act like he'd lived inside his whole life.

This is a perfect tempered dog. This is exactly what you want. Strength of character, confident dominance. He is the true manifestation of the Callie/D character traits. I have no disappointments out of this litter but he excels. Simba is almost a clone as well.
This is why I bred for this litter. :love

ok - Some pics-

Leah- Yes this was what was trying to go through Not Leos front legs
Wingin' it Farms Home of Wings & Caprines Leah- 1 week due.JPG

Not Leo and Leah
Wingin' it Farms Livestock Guardians 12months-trained (2).JPG

Leah and the Boyz!
Wingin' it Farms Livestock Guardians 12months-trained (6).JPG

DD with Chunk and PT (Pete)
Wingin' it Farms Livestock Guardians 12months-trained.JPG

DD with my beloved Chunk!
January 10,2016 Wingin' it Farms LGD's Chunk.JPG

DD with Silver- check out his power house chest ;) Look at this boys neck! Giving a kiss.... he looks alot like Callie just not the black mask- has her same peak.
January 10,2016 Wingin' it Farms LGD's 12 months Silver.JPG

Fail! LOL Funny how he climbed right up on the couch! :lol:
Wingin' it Farms LGD Pup 12months  N-Leo (1).JPG

He is giving me LOVE! I am 5'6" (shrinking :(was 5'7") and 100 lbs
This gives some scale. He is right up against me.
Wingin' it Farms LGD Pup 12months  N-Leo (2).JPG

Relaxed and chillin' LOL took him 5 minutes to eat a hot dog :rolleyes: He had to sniff it, move it around, I had to tell him it was ok he could eat it... DD had to tear it in pieces and he CHEWED each piece. I find that so funny how these dogs CHEW their food. They take forever.:D
Wingin' it Farms LGD Pup 12months  N-Leo (3).JPG

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Three farm dogs ( chuhuahua, german shepherd, pit bull... All male... ) missing in less than six months and one dead cat. We also had two goats stolen earlier last year ( a buckskin NG and a black NG, both bucks) I don't know if this rain of terror is over yet.

So sorry to hear this :hugs:( That is terrible! Sucks even worse that you're working so many hours that you can't even do what you need to do to "fix" the issue so you wouldn't have to worry about it any more. It has become some sort of world hasn't it?...

I can tell you that "Silver" our smallest "pup" (not small by any means) can quite easily take on a small pack of coyotes by himself. :th Don't even ask.:somad
<-- :ep

Don't ask? Are you KIDDING?! You can't do a loss leader like that! Simply not fair! Is Silver OK?

Long story how that happened but it was the mutt Lucy's fault. :somad
:barnie Another story needing to be told! Glad the neighbor wasn't harmed and was forgiving.

I would be directing you to a link of how to break up a fight. :mad: One reason why leads are always hanging on fences. It was classic textbook and very smooth BUT it is very hard when both people are 90/100 lbs and the dogs are 125-130 pounds with power that make them like they are 250 lbs each. Believe me when I say it takes incredible strength.

Oh man... Did Silver stir up the more mature boys again? I hope none of them got damaged! Are those cuts I see on Not Leo's front paw and legs? Is that why he's on antibiotics? What happened? And what is stinky ear? Never heard of that before...

Sorry you haven't been able to rightly prepare for kidding several days away... I hope you can get at least a little prepared. Truly sorry you haven't had time to spend with your dogs and animals... I know how much that means to you and it's good for your health and overall disposition.

I agree with you on how super these dogs are if it can be judged by the one that I have. Thank you again for allowing me to have one! :love