Spay/neuter

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yea it is really young.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce I had an associate business with a vet that was in the original pilot program for early spay/neuter ranging from 5-8 weeks. I will never forget one day he was standing there doing the surgery and said this is BS! This is wrong and I am not doing this, far too young. He went on to say quite a few other things which I won't repeat here. LOL
He discontinued his services.

I am also not a fan of no kill shelters. Not every animal should be adopted out and not every animal should be "saved". I really tired of laymen and rescue people that have no clue and think everything should be. I hear often about how "I don't know what this poor puppy went through before we "rescued" it" and many dogs that are freaking nuts were never even abused. People have a ridiculous notion that every psycho dog was abused and that just isn't so.

Spay and neuter also affects brain function and temperament NEGATIVELY.

LOL @soarwitheagles I just realized what this thread was under! :ep
We have hi-jacked your thread :(

Sorry ... this should continue elsewhere I suppose. :hugs

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could we start a new thread? I am interested in this topic. I'd like to hear about the concept that spay/neuter has a negative affect on temperament. My dog had major issues before he was neutered... Then again there was a medication issue that was resolved at the same time...

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha no, when we got him he had demodectic mange. The medication we had to give him was a topical flea/tick treatment that of course I can't remember the name of... But it made him like psychotically aggressive. When we neutered him he only needed one more treatment and it finally cleared up.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha no, when we got him he had demodectic mange. The medication we had to give him was a topical flea/tick treatment that of course I can't remember the name of... But it made him like psychotically aggressive. When we neutered him he only needed one more treatment and it finally cleared up.
Back in the day Pyrethrum (the real stuff not permethrin the synthetic stuff) was used for this... several treatment also for sarcoptic mange. Nowadays usually ivermectin at certain dosages are given for demodec. At least last I am aware of. Don't have much to do in that world anymore.
It can make any dog nuts really it is pretty unbearable. Some dogs may have a small spot and it doesn't get too bad before treatment. Some dogs it is so awful it is amazing how they make it through.

When you see these under the scope they are amazing. Sarcoptes are really freaky looking. At least the demodex looks "cleaner" :lol:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score