Spay/neuter

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have posted a lot of info on this over the years I will try and retrieve some of them.

LOL guys I am a 2 finger punch typer (or is the term now keyboarder :lol: ) I used a NON electric black ribbon typewriter to type with in middle and high school so I still think of it as typing!
Anyway it takes me forever to post something.

Thanks for moving this thread @NH homesteader :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There may be some overlap posts with tail docking and ear cropping because they involved both subjects so I copied to both threads when I moved them from Soar's thread. Hope it's not too confusing... :hu:fl

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am young enough that I've always had spayed and neutered dogs and was always told that is what you do. Always was told intact male dogs are mean! Ha well our friend has an intact male Spanish Alano, big tough dog. That also likes to cuddle with his head in my lap. He's a doll.

I also think people expect dogs to act like humans... And people expect them to all be perfectly calm and well behaved and friends with other dogs in dog parks... Well I appreciate that my dog guards the property and stands in between me and strangers. But other people think he's got behavior issues.

Both of our male dobies were not neutered and we had no mean problems at all they were big babies, Issac still is a big baby. He loves to cuddle, and has no aggression towards any of our other dogs at all.

My Schnorkie is not spayed and it is not a big, messy problem when she is in heat, despite what the vet told us it would be.

I have heard many vets telling people the same thing. If you dont spay them they will bleed all over everything and it will be a giant mess and you wont want to deal with it.

I would like to hear more on this on spay and neuter and heat cycles?

Our pit mix was neutered at 6 weeks old I personally think that is way to young.

Way to young, that is insane. General practice is to wait until 6 months old.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
With our first pyr we were told to remove his double dews and have him neutered at 12 weeks old at our first vet appointment at 8 weeks old. I felt that was not right. went home and got in contact with great pyrenees people I had met on Instagram who had raised and owned them for many many years and every one of them said NEVER remove the double dews unless they are causing issues. And do not neuter him until minimum of a year. I called to cancel and the vet made it sound like we were putting his health at risk by not removing the dewclaws for him... We changed vets and he reassured us we were correct in not wanting to remove them and that we should wait to have him neutered. I am not exactly for it but it is just what people do and everyone in my family believes it as irresponsible to keep an intact animal. :rolleyes:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
With our first pyr we were told to remove his double dews and have him neutered at 12 weeks old at our first vet appointment at 8 weeks old. I felt that was not right. went home and got in contact with great pyrenees people I had met on Instagram who had raised and owned them for many many years and every one of them said NEVER remove the double dews unless they are causing issues. And do not neuter him until minimum of a year. I called to cancel and the vet made it sound like we were putting his health at risk by not removing the dewclaws for him... We changed vets and he reassured us we were correct in not wanting to remove them and that we should wait to have him neutered. I am not exactly for it but it is just what people do and everyone in my family believes it as irresponsible to keep an intact animal. :rolleyes:

In all honesty some people are not responsible enough to own an animal let alone an intacted one, it is a fact of life. Not saying your family specifically is, just an observation. I think i would keep my animals intact just to annoy my family if they tried to be like that lol. Luckily my family learned many years ago i am going to do what i want with my livestock and pets and house and etc and they can talk all they want they are not changing my mind to suit their "needs."

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Way to young, that is insane. General practice is to wait until 6 months old.
Way too young still

I am not exactly for it but it is just what people do and everyone in my family believes it as irresponsible to keep an intact animal. :rolleyes:
That is because you were given a line of BS and it became a mantra it is the "shaming" tool used by the ignorant.

Then the blind lead the blind.

No, what is irresponsible is tearing out the endocrine system of a dog without any medical reason to do so.

I think it is a real tragedy that we choose to not educate about the subject and our culture has become so "the dr said so" minded. When we go blindly along we are foolish. I mean really, we have a whole culture that never has scratched their head and asked WHY?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Way too young still

That is because you were given a line of BS and it became a mantra it is the "shaming" tool used by the ignorant.

Then the blind lead the blind.

No, what is irresponsible is tearing out the endocrine system of a dog without any medical reason to do so.

I think it is a real tragedy that we choose to not educate about the subject and our culture has become so "the dr said so" minded. When we go blindly along we are foolish. I mean really, we have a whole culture that never has scratched their head and asked WHY?
I completely agree. I have clashed with multiple vets multiple times on the subject. I always find it funny that if a woman wants a hysterectomy in my state you have to have a minimum of 3 children and be 30+ years old. And anyone I have known who has had one at any point in life needs hormones supplemented to keep their body working correctly, or am I just imagining things? But that is not an option for the animals, right? :idunno Am I the only one who put it together and finds this odd? Why are there not more people, I mean "sheople", questioning this? :hide The way the world has gone is to follow along and not rock the boat, give into what someone else says is right. :smack