Spay/neuter

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
  • Sorry I can't remember who else was part of the conversation and it's hard to maneuver around much on my cell phone! (like the random formatting that I can't get rid of)
And no I'm not trying to start an issue, seriously. I am not strongly opinionated on the subject, just curious!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think there is a lot reading and those that are participating will pick it up on new posts.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I never had a dog that was spayed/neutered...the main reason was the difference that I saw in those that were....have had many female dogs...just my preference and knew there was Responsibility with that decision...with the average normal dog it was easy to get....but, go to a registered dog and they won't sell one that they won't 'Show' without it being done....I just wanted the dog, but they wanted to control the 'Bloodline'....so, I just settled for unpapered dogs.....it is like they loose their 'Spirit' when it is done....and most will lose their 'Aggressiveness' and become placid....of course I only have my observations to rely on, but it certainly is my opinion....it is very interesting to follow here so will be on the sidelines 'Watching' and learning.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am young enough that I've always had spayed and neutered dogs and was always told that is what you do. Always was told intact male dogs are mean! Ha well our friend has an intact male Spanish Alano, big tough dog. That also likes to cuddle with his head in my lap. He's a doll.

I also think people expect dogs to act like humans... And people expect them to all be perfectly calm and well behaved and friends with other dogs in dog parks... Well I appreciate that my dog guards the property and stands in between me and strangers. But other people think he's got behavior issues.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ha no, when we got him he had demodectic mange. The medication we had to give him was a topical flea/tick treatment that of course I can't remember the name of... But it made him like psychotically aggressive. When we neutered him he only needed one more treatment and it finally cleared up.
When our dog had demodex mange, we were told to give him ivermectin daily...for awhile.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My aunt's cat who was neutered at a young age had some sort of urinary stones problem, also at a pretty young age. He had to have very expensive surgery and the vet said, "Even though no one will tell you this and will deny this, I think that the standard neutering of neutering so young is what is causing more and more of these problems." I'm wondering if it is similar to urinary calculi in goats- you wait until they are more mature before wethering to prevent it.

We neutered our male GSD, but waited until he was a year.

My Schnorkie is not spayed and it is not a big, messy problem when she is in heat, despite what the vet told us it would be.