SSN 2019 Kidding Thread

How many kids do you think I'll have from 7 girls in 2019?

• 7-9 All singles. Maybe a set of twins.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-12 Mostly singles, and a couple sets of twins or triplets.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 14+ Most/All twins and/or Triplets

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, I just got about 1/3 a cup of it and poured it on her head. Had to move her away from everyone else cause they were trying to eat her! I'll get some blood stop from TSC tomorrow. She didn't seem to be acting like how RJ was (hiding and not being normal self) so I don't think she is in much pain, but then again she is a bottle baby so sometimes it's hard to tell. How long did it take for him to heal?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The healing took a month or two but after several weeks he was pretty much back to himself.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We lost cinnamon stripe to coyotes Saturday night :hit She was turning 8 early next year. She was pregnant as well. Triplets, I did a necropsy because I had to know. I was unsure of genders but I don't really care. She was the best goat I ever had. One of the only survivors of the 2016/17 winter, the herd queen, the best dam I had, the best milker I had, and my favorite goat. I loved her so much. We have had a pack around here but never thought they would be a problem. They didn't get into the pasture, they got her head. Everyone stick their heads through the fencing to eat the grass/leaves on the other side and that seemed to be how they got her. From her head up to the end of her neck was all chewed up and gone. We didn't hear ANYTHING! Dogs weren't barking. Nobody in the house heard a thing. Still trying to cope with it.:hit Everyone else is doing good. Perfectly fine and healthy.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry. Terrible way to go and to lose her. Suggest replace fence with sheep/goat fencing which they can't get their heads through.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is just terrible. Nothing has ever bothered my goats but I lost 5 kittens and two chickens in early summer. I only found the head of one of the chickens and then my grandmothers dog found the body at the edge of the woods at the creek about 400 feet away. The goats were in the pen with the chickens at the time too. It was a bobcat that got them. I feel for you, though. I hate too loose goats in ways other than old age and peaceful.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all, she will be missed. I will be leaving for a couple weeks. I just heard this morning that my cousin passed away yesterday.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your additional loss. condolences. Have a safe trip, and despite the reason for it, hope you enjoy the time with family and friends.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, just made it back yesterday. A little sooner then I thought but we had to get home to get Christmas rolling. Had a lot of fun with the family and my dad is gonna go back next year (to texas) to hog hunt and we will see them again then. My sister did buy me an ultrasound for 4 does while I was gone though for a Christmas present though. We got them done about an hour ago. Bubble is not bred:( I figured as she had what appeared to be an abortion. Dippin' Dot is not bred, or possibly was early bred:( Rootbeer was not bred or was very early bred:( We also got my sisters doe an ultrasound go figure she was bred. :he Single, maybe twins! Here is my sister does ultrasound just because it's cool.
20181208_122128.jpg

I have heard some very mixed opinions on ultrasounds. A lot of people say they can be not accurate. But at this point I think I'm just desperate. The other 4 does I know 100% are bred, no ultrasound needed. Since all my does were a bit hairy maybe it was difficult to see them on the other 3:oops:

Last edited:

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Though I would do a quick update. I really wish I had pictures but I haven't seen any of the girls in a few weeks. They are technically my oldest sister goats but she bought most of them for me so i consider them mine. They live at her house but i normally see her every week and stay with her during kidding season (and over summer) Been so busy over December that I haven't been able to make it over to see any of them. I have gotten texts about them almost daily though. My sister thinks rilla has ketosis :( She doesn't know for sure, but that's what she said its starting to seem like. She is picking up strips to test her for it. Hopefully she is okay though :fl On a happier note, she said marylou and rilla are both making udders. She also felt kicking in both of them :weee

Sarsparill is due in 27 days

Mary-lou is due in 32 days

I can't see them until January 10th :th