Sudden strange behavior

Goats2757

Just born
Reaction score
Today my goat Charlotte started acting very strange all of a sudden. She seems like she has amnesia. She doesn't want to eat (she is usually obsessed with grain) she just stands in the same place and looks "spaced out". She's not hurt or blind, no changes in diet. And she's making a really loud dramatic bleeting sound while throwing her head back and sticking out her tongue. Has anyone seen this before? She's a pet of ours and we're planning in calling the vet soon if she's not better but I was hoping someone her might be able to help me.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is she and what breed? It sounds like she may be in estrus to me. Also, are there any other goats located in the area....not necessarily yours, but of another person?

Goats2757

Just born
Reaction score
She's about 6 or 7. (The past owners didn't know her age). I've noticed her in heat before and she's very hyperactive. She's never done anything like this it possible that it's still estrus?

Goats2757

Just born
Reaction score
How old is she and what breed? It sounds like she may be in estrus to me. Also, are there any other goats located in the area....not necessarily yours, but of another person?
She's 6 or 7. She hasn't been in contact with another goat since we've had her (2.5 years)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is her stomach really swollen out and tight? Is she ruminating? We have a 10yr old doe that will do that when she is bloated and will sling froth out of her mouth....she has teeth issues and can't chew things as well anymore. When she does that we wet fingers and dip in baking soda and rub her gum with it and it helps relieve the bloat and she will be fine.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's 6 or 7. She hasn't been in contact with another goat since we've had her (2.5 years)
There are some breeds that are year around cyclers, and some only during specific seasons. If there are other goats in the neighborhood and she can smell a buck in the air, it can elicit a different response than normal if the buck is in rut. If the tongue is tasting air with upper lip curled, it could be a sign of that, but if it is hanging out to one side, then ya may want to take her to a vet.

Goats2757

Just born
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help. We called the vet on Tuesday and tried three medicines to hopefully give her a chance. Within hours of the first dose she was doing much better! She is almost back to normal now. We think that it was a kick to the head and her brain swelled. Thanks to everyone for your advice!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that she is doing better. A kick to the head is not something I would think of but that is one of the great things about BYHs...learning from the experience of others. Thank you for coming back on here with an update. And welcome to BYH from CA. I hope you will stick around and join in the conversations.

Latest posts