Sunn hemp

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Already on top of that. The variety sold here is not able to handle our winters, nor does it have the growing season to produce viable seed. I also have no plans of letting it flower, therefore, no seeds.

As for neighboring cattle, are you referring to the neighbor who allows his cows to destroy wetlands (read about the Chesapeake Bay watershed issues), cut down the stream buffer and believes it is his right to push his field scrapings on to neighboring properties? The one who cuts down trees on neighboring land if it shades his crops? The one who sprays pesticides that float on to the neighboring organic producer and associated beehives? The one who doesn't control invasive plants on his land and allows them to spread to neighboring properties? I've spent five years trying to control the vining invasives from his property strangling my trees and get the Canada thistles under control. Yeah, not really concerned about his cows. Bad attitude, I know, but he has damaged more of the ares environent in his 10 years on that property than the previous two owners dating to the 1940's.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there not a fence around his property or the neighboring properties that would keep him from pushing stuff onto neighboring properties? Here that is considered trespassing. And he cuts down trees on other's property? Why has no one pressed charges against him? He sounds like a terrible neighbor to have and I'm sorry that you have to put up with that. His actions just wouldn't fly here. Bring on the range war!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a production farm, but rather a backyard enthusiast with slightly over 5 acres.

That, is one of the great misconceptions of agriculture and animal husbandry. The USDA, the American Community Survey, the decennial US Census, and the local property appraisal districts, along with the IRS collaborate to come up with the total number of 'farms' in the USA. You, are among those 2.5 million--unless, you have never eaten any meat, drank any milk, made any cheese, from your home grown animals, never attempted to increase land/forage productivity, have never allowed an animal to be bred, have never improved the genetics of your animals or any of the other prospects related to agriculture.
I'm pretty sure you fit in somewhere there.
Some of the greatest genetic breakthroughs in plants and animals have come from what the IRS calls "hobby farms". (Some of the biggest train wrecks have as well, but any scientist will readily tell you more is learned from failure than success).

The vast majority of US farmers btw, have an outside job--something besides agriculture, but they too are still 'production farmers' just as are 100s of non-profits in cities that have no intention of ever making a profit, just producing for the local area's needs.

Last edited:

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That, is one of the great misconceptions of agriculture and animal husbandry. The USDA, the American Community Survey, the decennial US Census, and the local property appraisal districts, along with the IRS collaborate to come up with the total number of 'farms' in the USA. You, are among those 2.5 million--unless, you have never eaten any meat, drank any milk, made any cheese, from your home grown animals, never attempted to increase land/forage productivity, have never allowed an animal to be bred, have never improved the genetics of your animals or any of the other prospects related to agriculture.
I'm pretty sure you fit in somewhere there.
Some of the greatest genetic breakthroughs in plants and animals have come from what the IRS calls "hobby farms". (Some of the biggest train wrecks have as well, but any scientist will readily tell you more is learned from failure than success).

The vast majority of US farmers btw, have an outside job--something besides agriculture, but they too are still 'production farmers' just as are 100s of non-profits in cities that have no intention of ever making a profit, just producing for the local area's needs.
X2 ...X2 x to the tenth power. Most of those here must wake up and smell the roses. YOU all here are a production farmer/ rancher whether you know / think it or not. So act like you mean it.