TAIL DOCKING. Can the way we perform it affect sheep health?.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry you lost your ewe Kelly.

I'm no fan of docking either, and since docking has been banned in most dogs over here, long-tailed dogs are now the norm and have very rapidly been accepted that way.

Rectal and vaginal prolapse are known complications of 'over zealous' docking....and a tiny stump which doesn't even cover the anus seems to me to be asking for trouble.

As I mentioned in my post last year, a lot of mine have tails 'as God intended' and they have been no more prone to fly strike than those with shorter tails. That long tail is no issue for mating or during lambing, and a quick 'crutch shave' prior to lambing will dispense with the abundance of fleece if deemed necessary (I don't worry one way or the other).

As it was pointed out to me that there are a few farmers who will dock an adult sheep (old knife, no anaesthetic) I have taken to docking more of my lambs, but the tail is always an inch or two above the knee at most (i.e. well below the vulva). We use a hot knife which seems to give almost no pain as it fries the pain nerve endings and usually no bleeding. Lambs wander off from the procedure and seem utterly unconcerned by their experience.

Kelly, making your feelings known is the only way to get change, and encouragement of others to do likewise.

Kelly Wolf

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey there Latestarter, :) wouldn't think of biting your head off :D and yes, I considered this ... the problem I've found is that of the 5 or 6 "premier" Dorper breeders, from here (Texas) to California, they seem to ALL dock :( in fact 4 of the 5 SHORT dock ... ) However, the ewe I purchased was not from the original breeder who did this, but from folks who bought her from the original breeder who short-docked ... They are actually really nice folks, they have a lovely place, they raise Katahdins and Dorpers and none of their animals, born on their place are docked at all. About a year or so ago, they changed their herd sire and bought 3 new ewes ... almost immediately after some family issues arose, grandkids I believe :) they decided they are moving from here in Texas to Florida. They had a choice to make and they are not going to be country living there, but inside city limits, so were letting their small flock go. They called me to ask if I was still looking for a new herd sire, I said yes and I purchased their handsome fellow - herd sire (3 yrs old and yes, short docked from a Texas breeder, but not "extreme" or Ultra short) and the 2 yr old ewe (extreme short docked from a California breeder) the one that I just put down.

I'm holding my breath that my ram stays healthy, and realistically, he probably will be just fine, he is not AS short as she was - different breeders ... it was just so senseless to loose AnnaSarah (my ewe) - she wasn't a show lamb, but she was just born onto the wrong ranch, with bozos for shepherds. /sigh ONE of the websites I found asks for assistance in promoting the more sensible, LONG docking (leaving the caudal fold and then a few cm's more) and I'm seriously considering it. I think I need to put some time between my implementing any activism and my soaring anger over this issue :he :blush: I know I have a temper and I need to have a much more tempered attitude :( instead.

Anyway, as I mentioned, if even just ONE novice Hair Sheep breeder does their own research and realizes what's going on with these Hair breeds, it would be worth the high blood pressure!

So, thank you for letting me vent and thanks for the welcome back :D

Kelly Wolf

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you Sheepshape! I appreciate your reasoned approach! I certainly understand the wool breeds could need the docking, and I've watched a couple of my wool breeder friends use the hot-docker ... you are right, seems that the lambs shake it off and are back on their feet in no time, almost immediately!

Almost forgot, my wool sheep friends also do the crutching to reduce all that fluff around their butts and they showed me some pictures of "mulesing" /grrr do NOT even get me started on THAT LOL

I am always so impressed with folks who can look at an issue and not go into nuclear meltdown LOL ONE day, when I grow UP I want to be one of those people lol since I just turned 65, ya think it might happen soon?? LOL

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day Kelly.I too am sorry for your loss.But remember its the" Breed Society who set the standards",as I understand it ultra short tail docking is now "banned ' in California. We are continually criticized for our methods of tail docking by local sheep people,but apart from the fact in wool breeds it takes the shearer s a few more "blows" to get the wool off, its of little consequence except in the "old style" wrinkly Merinos from the 40/50s when they thought that the more skin, the more wool.Modern wool producers strive for "plain-bodied " sheep as there is a growing resistance to wool from "mulesing" sheep from consumers and processors.As I understand it Hair Sheep in their country of origin the tails were"never" docked.So how do we achieve change? You could write a letter of "protest" about the practice to a Magazine like "SHEEP",if enough people protest I'm sure they will comment on the practice.In my original post there is a pic on page two of what is usual for us.. ...T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good topic on docking. I am a beginner shepherd. I bought 4 bred Katahdin/Dorper ewes, 2 were docked short, 2 had tails. I haven't docked lambs. I only castrate the ram lambs. I love seeing the whirligig tails going like helicopter blades when the lambs are nursing. I can't see any benefit to docking hair breeds. @Kelly Wolf you can rant all you want, I agree on docking tails.

@The Old Ram-Australia do you use Pat Colby's mineral mix? I bought her book and it just makes so much sense, I have read it over and over.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Kelly Wolf - I'm so sorry for the loss of your ewe.

I'm fortunate that my choice of breed (Icelandic) is one of several sheep breeds with a naturally short tail. I would not want to dock a tail unless absolutely necessary - and for me, "absolutely necessary" does not mean 'for the show ring'. I appreciate that the system of showing and breeding has maintained and improved many animal breeds, but unfortunately there are plenty of instances where 'show trends' have IMHO been to the detriment of a good breed.

I have heard the name Pat Colby before, but haven't read anything by her yet, I need to put that on my to-do list.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some of the original reasons for tail docking are: Fly strike and needed treatments to get rid of the maggots that are eating the sheep alive. When the ewe urinates or has the runny trots, small amounts will fall onto her tail and during the breeding season, the ram's penis comes in contact with these contaminants that are then full of deceases ( moisture + fecal matter = perfect environment for decease organisms ) and he himself becomes infected then infects the ewe as well as other ewes in the flock. If a wool breed sheep has lots of long wool on her tail during breeding season, often the ram will have difficulty to breed her due to his penis not being able to get through the wool or if he does manage to get through her wool, he could infect the ewe as well as other ewes that he breeds next. If he does manage to get his penis through the ewe's wool, he could injure his penis causing it to bleed . Since blood is a spermicide, any ewe that he way breed will not conceive. He too may become so sore that he will refuse to breed her or any other ewe. Result one gets small or no lamb crop . Then if one takes lambs to auction with a messy bottom, you will take a financial hit for your lot as it is sold at a discount. I have docked thousands of lambs. I recommend that when you dock the lambs, leave 1/ 2 " to 3/4" of tail stub since when it grows up the tail stub would then be 2" to 3"+ which eliminates most of the issues that the proponents of no docking are not even aware of due to their ignorance or denial

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day and of course Bossroo you are right in the circumstances you describe.Bit in the case of Hair breeds does it still apply?Down here in Aussie it is common practice to "full crutch" before joining and part crutch before lambing,we on the other hand "full shear" before mating.This results in short growth over winter and in the event of a "cold snap" during the ewes respond by seeking shelter taking their vulnerable lambs with them.So my advice is obtain the equipment and master the arts,even if the cost is "shared" amongst a group who reside close together.In answer to the questions about Pat Colby,yes I do but have modified it to suit our sheep operation over the years,but I do not subscribe to all of her views on animal husbandry,we "do not vax for anything",instead we have developed a form of Natural Immunity by culling ,not trying to "save'" every lamb born and allowing for the natural transfer of "flock knowledge" from one generation to the next.....here are a couple of pic's of the type of animal we produce...1. 12/14 mo sale rams...2.12 mo ewe lambs after their first shearing....T.O.R.
Jan 2017 006.JPG
001.JPG
All our stock are totally raised on grass with "no" supplementy feeding.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bossroo I am in full agreement with you on docking tails on heavy wooled breeds. It would be cruelty and negligence of the utmost kind to allow an animal be eaten alive because of the filth of poor husbandry and care. I have hair sheep and see no need to dock their tails, or if docked, use common sense and not over do it. What you posted about the ram trying to breed through a long filthy tail also makes perfect sense. If I had wool sheep, then their tails would be properly docked for their own health.

@The Old Ram-Australia your sheep are beautiful, healthy and vibrant with living a good life. I also agree with you that culling for a healthy flock instead of propping them up with every known device makes sense financially and less work on keeping sickly animals alive. Do you mind posting what your mineral mix is? I am not going to exactly copy what you are using, I realize that I have to develop what is best for my flock.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day BM,you need to understand that Pats recipe was developed for Dairy Goats,but it seems her publisher decided that it was for all species in an effort to generate extra sales.Firstly you need to know if your soils are naturally alkaline or acid ,we are on acid soils about 4/5 ph with areas of high Aluminium,Acid soils tend to "lock up certain elements and so if "fed to the sheep rather "thrown it about on the ground, you get a better "bang" for your buck.If your soil was higher up the scale the lime input would be designed to achieve the correct Cal /Mag balance.So here is ours its probably a good mid-point to start at.I use a coffee mug as everything is by volume....7 parts Dolomite,4 parts Salt(I use common swimming pool stuff) 2 parts Seaweed Meal (which I buy in 20 kg boxes)I would avoid the liquid if at all possible as you are paying for the water ,rather than the solids.1/2 part yellow Sulfur and 1/4 part of Copper Sulfate(goats are notoriously deficient in Copper,but at such low ratios does not seem to effect the sheep.

I cut the front out of a 20 lt plastic container and hang them on the fence close to their water point.The ewes introduce the lambs to the mix at about 3 weeks of age,don't be concerned if it gets wet ,only the copper degrades and the salt melts ,but it all gets consumed. ........T.O.R.
001.JPG
jan 2012 001.jpg
feb 2013 007.jpg