Tail docking/ear cropping

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm quaking in my boots seeing Issac @misfitmorgan !!

Not having short cropped ears definitely takes away some of the more fearsome look.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Morgan,

Beautiful dogs! Thanks for sharing the photos! I especially like the looks of that DP!

BTW, you may have misunderstood me...I am not against LGD's. I simply shared my concerns and began to ask questions about LGD's after seeing over 60 stitches in my neighbor's son's head and hearing about the $300,000 settlement.

I am not a fearful person, but I am a cautious person when it comes to new adventures, and having a LGD is a new adventure for me.

I am hoping to get it right the first time rather than have to learn the hard way...

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first LGD spoiled me. If my last pup had been my first I might never have owned one. She is turning out to be a great dog, but boy was she trying. That girl was born with her mouth open and chews/chewed everything in sight. Her idea of play is to use her mouth. At 11 months she is oh so much better about using her mouth on me but she still uses it on my poor older dog to try and get her to play. I wish I could just duct tape her mouth shut. At least she doesn't bark needlessly, for that I am grateful.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first LGD spoiled me. If my last pup had been my first I might never have owned one. She is turning out to be a great dog, but boy was she trying. That girl was born with her mouth open and chews/chewed everything in sight. Her idea of play is to use her mouth. At 11 months she is oh so much better about using her mouth on me but she still uses it on my poor older dog to try and get her to play. I wish I could just duct tape her mouth shut. At least she doesn't bark needlessly, for that I am grateful.

That is what Issac was doing that is why we got Kora. They are best buds and play pretty much non-stop and chew on each other lol.

Morgan,

Beautiful dogs! Thanks for sharing the photos! I especially like the looks of that DP!

BTW, you may have misunderstood me...I am not against LGD's. I simply shared my concerns and began to ask questions about LGD's after seeing over 60 stitches in my neighbor's son's head and hearing about the $300,000 settlement.

I am not a fearful person, but I am a cautious person when it comes to new adventures, and having a LGD is a new adventure for me.

I am hoping to get it right the first time rather than have to learn the hard way...

Well i hope you find a great LGD!

I'm quaking in my boots seeing Issac @misfitmorgan !!

Not having short cropped ears definitely takes away some of the more fearsome look.
Yeah we dont believe in cropping ears, if we adopted a dobie with cropped ears fine but we dont take any of ours to get cropped.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you have his tail docked? We didn't crop our Alano's ears either, much to the breeder's dismay!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you have his tail docked? We didn't crop our Alano's ears either, much to the breeder's dismay!

No we did not he came with his tail docked. Typically any breed that is going to have a tail dock is done less then 2 weeks old which is why you get a lot of dog owners who wont crop theirs dogs ears but have the tail docked.....we didnt have a say in it when he was only 2 weeks old, heck we didnt know he existed yet. Kora also came docked when we adopted her.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotcha. I hate tail docking! We reserved our dog before the whole litter had their ears done, which is why we got to say no. Breeder wasn't thrilled but she's pet quality and she'll never hunt so he let us.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotcha. I hate tail docking! We reserved our dog before the whole litter had their ears done, which is why we got to say no. Breeder wasn't thrilled but she's pet quality and she'll never hunt so he let us.

I'm not a fan of it myself. We love our dobie's and i have yet to meet one with a tail, oddly it seems people who are against ear cropping are still fine with tail docking.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's why I asked. Tail docking is way worse in my opinion. I'm not against ear cropping for certain breeds. Clara's doggie father boar hunts, he's safer with cropped ears. Otherwise they would make good targets

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm more against cropping then docking personally. i have seen both processes done in a vets office. The tail dock was done at 3 days old and was about a 60 seconds procedure with no stitches needed and the tails were healed in about a week. The ear cropping i saw done took around 30 minutes, including the cropping and stitching and ear cropping is not done until 6-8 weeks old. Then after the stitches are removed and the ears are healed roughly 14 days later, you have approx 6 months of posting and taping to look forward too. Some ears are faster taking only 2 month to stand properly some are slower and still require taping a year later. So in the entire scheme of docking vs cropping i think docking is far less painful/intensive to a dog. Everyone chooses what they are ok with i know many many people who would not own certain dog breeds without docking or cropping them and others who would never think of doing either. i think cropped ears on dobies look gorgeous but it just isnt something i would want to do to my dobies. I certainly dont think any less of anyone who does or doesnt like either one. After all we do dock our sheeps tails :hide