Tender Hooves?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
had a really nice paint gelding once who was navicular, took one x-ray to diagnose him. no mobile x-ray available so had to take him in for it. also had a great farrier who kept a bar shoe on him and we went for many a mountain mile with it on. as long as we kept a bar type shoe on he did fine. hope you can find out what her problem is. oh and go on line and search for bitless bridle. I used one on the little arab mare I had for the longest time. it is different than a side pull or halter, gives you more control without the bit. we both loved it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used a "mechanical hackamore" on the horse I used to barrel race as a teenager. Don't know if they even call it that anymore, bitless bridle sounds like it might be similiar. Put pressure on the nose and had a chin strap that would also put pressure, she was very responsive with it, and it worked fine without the in mouth bit.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used a hackamore on my one and only horse too. Years ago. I got him from my riding instructor who had bought him from an auction in Idaho so no history at all. Tried to put a bit in his mouth and he fought it like crazy and gums started bleeding. His was just wild with that bit, but take it out and halter him and he as a sweet as could be. So we used a hackamore after that and all was well.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
no @farmerjan the bitless bridle is totally different than a mechanical hackamore. I've used them both. it has cords that go over the nose to add pressure and help with turning. all made of rope. really like the way it works, my mare was so much more relaxed using it.

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
so tomorrow morning, I will call the vet, i'm sure if there is a mobile x-ray, they should have one, we are in a big horse, cow and goat area, so the vet i see is pretty large and capable. I this is just the first horse i've had need a vet to come out (yes im a newbie XD)

and i will definitely be looking into bitless riding, ive always liked the idea, and she just seems to fear the bit, but the gal before last rode her hard and rough, so i don't blame her for not wanting a bit again. she is learning to trust me, and know i mean no harm, she is making leaps and bounds everyday. i see her coming out of her shell. i love it, plus it has been great therapy for me too, i'm a stay at home mom of three, and hardly had time for myself these last few years, but now that my oldest can hang with siblings for a while, its really let me be outside, alone, just having me time with my horse. ITS THE BEST <3

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will Rogers knew what he was talkin' about when he said "the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a (wo)man!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
That ground isn't getting any softer!

Which I found out just slipping off of a fence, not even on the top!! That is when I made my decision to limit my horse riding to occasional & no longer own a riding horse. Miss it really but I just know not to risk "everything" that needs me.

A friend just won't give up and is wearing knee & back support for her decision. Guess we all have our own limits. :hu

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I can relate on riding woes. although i really want to get out there, im a bit worried about something happening while im by myself. im a mother of three youngin's that would really miss me if i were hurt.