Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that's great but I thought you were cutting back awhile ago?..... I think you will see good prices this year and next... unless we have a terrible drought to make it too expensive to feed.... we are looking for very good prices this year... a friend just shipped some 5 wt calves and the steers did over 2.00/lb... futures on cattle are up too... cull cows were pretty good last week too.
Glad that you have so many that are that good to make the "cut" to stay. :thumbsup:yesss::highfive:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was another 8 that were better than any other sheep that I have seen this year but Teresa asked to slow it down some and that is easy to accommodate. We ran 75 head a few years ago and it worked us more than we wanted. She really did want to get it down around 10 but if I had to do that I would quit all together. :) I do the easy work and just move and hold on to the sheep as she pulls the fecals and gives the shots so I'm just an observer in those modes.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It will be interesting to hear what prices are in your area. Livestock Weekly quoted lower prices on sheep and lambs last week. Hoping they will go up next month when I take a small load to auction. I will have some larger ram lambs around 100 lbs. and some small ones around 50-60 lbs. I'll weigh them before taking them to see difference in prices per weight group.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goal is 30 ewes. I have 16 right now, 2 keeper lambs in the lot, on a list for 2 registered ewes the end of April and bred ewes here. Plus @Ridgetop is bringing me 5. I think I will meet and exceed my goal shortly. LOL. I already have my eye on one for culling. She is already 3/4 and she is with Cooper, so want to see what she produces.

Sheep math.

In other news, my big brown registered ewe, BTX-1901 AKA Number One, was due yesterday, bred to Ringo. I’m on pins and needles. It will be daylight about the time I finish this cup of coffee and I’ll be out the door!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We still have six ewes that haven't lambed so we are having ultrasounds done on them to see what the heck is going on.

On a different note, we got the Tacoma stuck in the yard as we were pulling around a circle area to park the trailer. I usually stay on the drive and back in when I use that truck but it couldn't make it up the hill to the parking spot and was spinning so much that the trailer wanted to jack knife into the Tacoma. I gave up and dropped the trailer and used the tractor to get both the truck and the trailer up the hill.