Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is why I have gentle sheep. A mean ram won’t work here. She is enamored with the Sheep. She starts yelling Baa Baa Baa before she even gets here and heads straight to the Sheep lot. While most of them move out of her way, I have 2 ewes that love attention and will stand for her to love on them.

View attachment 49240
She is so adorable!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder how our pasture is going to do. We had about 1/2" yesterday but that's the first in about two weeks.
It's not too bad yet..'officially'but the old adage here is "we're never more than 2 weeks away from drought".
The problem with the drought monitor and other 'official maps' is they consider the short term drought conditions ("S" designation) as 'less than 6 months duration". Might be true regarding raw data collection, but In the real world, 5 months and 29 days can be devastating.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/
usdm.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never lived in an "arid" climate. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be "2 weeks away from a drought" as you put it GB. When we go more than 10 days without rain, or snow, or moisture in some form, it is significant here. I think that we average 3-4 inches a month for the year, something like 35-40 inches a year on average. Now, with the latest ridiculous weather patterns, we have seen some really crazy swings. Just north of me, say 50-75 miles, in the northern part of the Shenandoah Valley, there are farmers that have not been able to get on their fields and I know of a couple that have not even planted the first kernel of corn. Normally it is in the ground late April-early May. And the ones that do double cropping will take off something like rye or barley and get it planted by mid June. The latest rainfall for the year up there to the first of June is like 27 inches when the normal is like 15. It's been crazy. We started out dry and not hardly any snow all winter, now we are way over and can barely find 5 days to get anything dry enough to make hay.

They are calling for a few scattered showers this eve but it is sunny so far; then sun through Sunday but temps are going to climb into the 90's by late week. Been a nice 60-75 the last few days. We will be cutting hay either this afternoon or tomorrow.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't currently live in an arid area.
"Cleveland, Texas, gets 54 inches of rain per year. The US average is 39."

Rainfall this year in my part of East Tx hs been good but spotty. Some places have gotten plenty, others have gotten hardly any..mine being the latter but 40 miles in either direction they have gotten x2 as much as I have.
It's not how much we get...it's when. We get most of our rain in winter and early spring, which doesn't do any good in summer...July-Oct,
tropical storms being the outlier.

I have lived in an arid area, and hope to again soon. My kind of country:
DSC00011wind.jpg