Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to gripe about the heat but it sure is hard to stay hydrated when you're out in it all day. All of the rain has the grass on the perimeter fence growing like crazy. I ran the weed eater all around the perimeter fence yesterday and put the sprayer on the tractor this morning and started hitting the driveway and fence with herbicide. It started to look like a storm was building up so I quit at the halfway point so that way if it does rain today I only have to redo half instead of all of it.

Teresa and I spent some time on the garden beds and got another 4 gallon bucket of tomatoes and another half bucket of Concord Grapes. She made some grape jam the other day and it is super good. The tomatoes are giving us enough that we will have most of our canning needs done fairly soon. We have another big batch of peppers about ready so it's about time to start making our pepper relish. We and all of the neighbor love it and it also makes nice little personal gifts.

Cucumbers got tied up again but they are getting crowded by tomatoes that are definitely not the determinates that the seed pouch said they were.

12 July 2018 Tomatoes.jpg
12 July 2018 Concord grapes.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most herbicides mixed from concentrates only need a 1.5-2 hr 'dry' time to become rainfast.
If you are using something like RTU Roundup, it should be rainfast after 30 minutes unless the humidity is exceptionally high.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why his shop? Why not his barn or his house? :D
I wouldn't want to impose on Mike, Teresa or the animals;)

Because he has seen my toys. :)
Yep, Mike has nice toys. Of course if I were to move in, he might have to make space for my RouterBoss and 19" open arm drum sander.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We put up 14 pints of tomatoes this morning and I'm now chopping up the veggies to make 10-12 pints of Pepper, corn and onion relish.

Mostly I'm just giving myself a day not spent out in the sun all day. We went to an estate auction this morning but there was very little there that we were interested in so we didn't stay.

I saw a bit on TV yesterday about a Frico recipe that I thought looked pretty cool and did some for lunch today. It was OK and I now know what Frico is but I doubt I'll do it again. :)

I put the Frico (I'm not sure I'm using that word correctly) over some Fajita style chicken and veggies. In case you are wondering the Frico is cheddar cheese that is cooked and the egg is steamed on top of it. Interesting concept but not worth the time for me.

Frico egg.JPG

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a few days of milder weather next week so we will be working the full herd of ewes. We still have one ram lamb in with them (two months old) who needs to get weaned and separated. Our 'routine' has been pretty routine for the last weeks for which I am very grateful.

We have two of the Barred Rocks sharing a single nest but no idea how many eggs they are sitting on. One or both of them kept stealing eggs to sit on so a couple of weeks ago we decided to go ahead and let them sit.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I just sit here and drool all over my keyboard staring at all the delicacies Mike shows displayed in/on his grill(s). How is that shoulder doing now Mike? I caught up but haven't or didn't really see an update/report. I hope it's pretty much back to "all fixed" by this point. I'm still anticipating a drive over to meet you and to buy a freezer supply of lamb/sheep/mutton from you come ~September. Are we still on for that?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The shoulder is probably 80% and getting better. I'm finally starting to regain some of my strength.

We're good anytime you want. I'll have to go ahead and set a date for the processor and get it done since he's about as big as he's going to get. Closer to September he stays booked up so I'll go ahead and make a date.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We picked about a bushel of peaches off one our 3 year old trees this afternoon. There's still about a bushel to be picked but they will be picked and thrown out. We started processing them to can them and every single peach had a small worm on the inside next to the seed. I've been fighting with squirrels to keep them off and it turns out it didn't matter. I guess there will be more chemical used next year.