Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a neighbor who is diabetic and just about let her body shut down due to terrible food and other choices and they basically put her on a Keto diet that she knows nothing about. She is a terrible cook to start with and has little imagination when it comes time to make a plain dish taste good. She is the main reason I cooked and posted the last turkey leftover recipe and we cooked and sent her some lamb pot roast that we cooked this afternoon. We replaced the usual mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower which is truly better tasting (and low carb compared to potatoes).

Balsamic pot roast with cheesy mashed cauliflower.JPG

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya'll are good souls!

A lot of diabetics don't get the education they need, can't afford decent food, are in denial, think it's only about sugar, or they just don't care. But they really should. My DH is a severe, brittle diabetic and has all the problems that go with. Five eye surgeries in a bit over a year, (2 more to go), neuropathy in hands and feet, contracture of two fingers... He has a family history, but choices got him to such a severe state. This is my soap box subject so I could go on and on - but I won't!
All I started out to say is that mashed cauliflower is good!! :drool (and as usual - your roast looks awesome too!)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a soapbox that needs to be stepped up on. Our Grandson was diagnosed at 4 years old and we have to bite our tongue over his parents choices. They are amazed at how his numbers are level most of the time he is here with us while they are like a yo-yo with them.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mr. @Mike CHS,

The others are right in noting that you and Miss Teresa are being real neighborly in taking care of Mr. @greybeard's 2nd ex-wife. ;)

I intended to ask but plum forgot when I caught up on your journal -- whatever happened to the young man who burglarized the neighbor's house and ran off, leaving his truck there?

Senile Texas Aggie