Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
ah.... food. I never have a problem if they are crazy about it as long as it isn't with us humans. Yeah- that would be an issue.
Our Violet and Deo have always eaten in their kennel, and do fine together. When they were young, we tried leaving the kennel door open, and one of the goats thought it would be good to nibble on Deo’s food. Bad mistake. No one got hurt, but we kept the door closed after that. Even now, four years later, if one of the goats gets anywhere near the kennel, Deo gives a warning snarl and snap. Now when it comes to us, we can go into the kennel and pick up their food dish anytime we want. They know better than warning US off their food. We make a point of doing that every now and again, to makee sure they know we are alpha and that is OUR food, but we choose to share it with them. :lol:

That is a soapbox that needs to be stepped up on. Our Grandson was diagnosed at 4 years old and we have to bite our tongue over his parents choices. They are amazed at how his numbers are level most of the time he is here with us while they are like a yo-yo with them.
That is a subject that gets me on my soapbox too! As a nurse I educated quite a few patients, in my day, who didn’t have a clue about eating properly with diabetes. We had a friend in PA, who was so bad his numbers were frequently in the 500 range, to the point he wore his pancrease out, and they put him on an insulin pump. He ate like it was no big deal to eat bread, dessert and rootbeer! I tried helping him understand. However, his attitude was, “I’ll just take my insulin”. :th This man has had multiple strokes and heart attacks and really bad peripheral neuropathy, and still doesn’t get it. :duc I finally gave up.

Mike, you and Theresa are on the right track with your grandson. GOOD FOR YOU!!! :clap Eating a low-carb diet consistently, is the best way to keep numbers and especially Hemaglobin A1C under control and crucial for maintaining health in later years. Taking insulin AFTER eating a high carb meal, is NOT the right way to manage diabetes and the devastating health issues that result from it.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had the discussions or at least attempted to but their Dr. seems to support their methods (or at least to them) so it's a no win.
Unfortunately, I have seen more than one doctor or nurse teach patents high carb ways of eating.

Don’t get me started on the LUNACY of GlucoTabs!!! I had a co-worker (RN) who had brittle diabetes. She kept chocolate M&M’s on her desk, which she ate all day long, especially when she had given herself insulin shots and her blood sugar would drop, she would then eat a couple GlucoTabs. Her blood sugar went up, which led to an insulin shot, which led to M&M’s, whch led to . . . it was a merry-go-round! :barnie

Several times, she passed out while drivng, from hypoclycemia, caused by too much insulin. One night we had stayed late, to finish some chartng, and we were the ony ones in the offce. Her speech was slurred and she was talking nonsense. I checked her blood sugar, and it was 35! :ep So, I gave her some whole wheat cheese crackers. I waited until her blood sugar was better and she was talking more lucidly. Then, I drove her home. She eventually got transferred to a job with no patient contact, because she had passed out multple times, while in exam rooms with patients. :th

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Devonviolet a similar thing happened to me when I was stationed at our Navy school in Memphis. I was the training officer at our school and my secretary followed President Reagan's example and she had started keeping a big container of jelly beans on her desk. I never ate sweets normally but for some reason that day, every time I walked by her desk I would grab a couple of them. I was interviewing a student and the next thing I know, I came to at the Navy Hospital with an IV in my arm. Back in those days they called it borderline diabetes but I don't know the real name. I've never reached the point of needing insulin because my diet followed the right needs.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! That’s really scary, Mike! If you didn’t normally eat sugar, it’’s surprising they called it “borderline diabetes”. Normally, that (aka pre-diabetic) is the result of a high carb diet over time. That will lead to the pancreas wearing out, and an elevated Hbg A1C, which only becomes elevaated after eating high carbs over a period of at least three months.

A good way to test it, is to eat a really high carb meal (of at least 65 grams of carbs - i.e. a big plate of pancakes with syrup at IHOP) and test the glucose level two hours after eating. If blood sugar is over 160, that could indicate that one is pre-diabetic. The best way to reverse that is to eat a low carb diet on a consistent basis.

I actually have the potential to get diabetes, as my brother and sister both have diabetes. In the past I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. That is why I avoid sugar and try to eat lower carb. A good sourdough bread is my one weakness.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Part of the reason they called it borderline was to keep from putting me in a medically 'down' status. I was on flight status and having anything other than borderline would have disqualified me for my career path. I had flight physicals every year until I retired so it was monitored well and never showed any sign of problem again, That was back in the mid 80's and I completely lost my urge for jelly beans. :) I only get an annual check now and it's been normal but then again I don't eat high carb meals.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure about those crepes but I do know that regular crepes can be made in bulk and frozen with layers of parchment or freezer paper between then wrapped in cling wrap or put in freezer bags. They work out great, and you just take out what you need and leave the rest in the freezer. Then heat them up in a pan, toaster oven, or let them thaw...for cold applications.

Sauteed mushrooms with onions(salt, pepper, garlic powder) and a little sour cream are good. Also mushroom, spinach and chicken. Eggs, ham, and cheese. Goat cheese and anything.....

You can also make lasagna using crepes, just make it in a round cake pan. I would assume anything you can do with regular crepes you can do with the low carb ones. So you could have low carb lasagna.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have a recipe but we make a lasagna 'like' dish using sliced zucchini or other squash. The only ingredients are ground beef, lamb or Italian sausage, marinara sauce, zucchini, ricotta cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese and is assembled like more traditional pasta lasagna. :)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have a recipe but we make a lasagna 'like' dish using sliced zucchini or other squash. The only ingredients are ground beef, lamb or Italian sausage, marinara sauce, zucchini, ricotta cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese and is assembled like more traditional pasta lasagna. :)

I have made zucchini lasagna before....sounds like the same thing. We think it's good, the kid said she wasn't hungry.:lol:
I tried to explain that the yellow summer squash is the same thing as the green zucchini but she won't buy it and only likes the yellow.:idunno

The crepes are a bit more pasta like.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried to explain that the yellow summer squash is the same thing as the green zucchini but she won't buy it and only likes the yellow
Many people don't like zuccini but do like yellow summer squash..others are the opposite. I like both equally, tho slightly prefer the yellow. My wife 'will' eat zucchini, but likes it so little she asked me not to plant any more of it. My 2 sisters are split on it; each in opposite directions. B-i-l won't eat zucchini at all but loves yellow crooks tho he really prefers and raises a variety of fall squash whose name I forget at the moment.
Squash is such a versatile food I can't imagine being without it.
I really like baked acorn squash, but wife and others here kind of turn up their palates at it.