Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa has had a doctors appointment this afternoon scheduled so we called last week and order a half ton of feed. The forecast has been iffy so they are good enough to hold an order until we can pick a dry day to haul the feed. Looks like rain the rest of the week so today was a good day and the feed is all in barrels and cans.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the light and dark of walnut, to me it is prettier than dyed to be all dark.

A feed run before the deluge, we do that too, watching the sky to beat the rain. I used to drive an hour for feed. We bought me a 2003 Ford Focus wagon. I drove that little car to death before I wrecked it on 610 Freeway in Houston, LOL. Anyway, I could pack 750 pounds of feed in that car. The people at the feed store thought I was nuts. I said what's the difference between sacks of feed and 4 big fat people? Sure, the back end got a little squatty, but the feed stayed dry!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't stain wood, other than pine doors to kinda (poorly) match the cherry trim. Cherry doors would be WAY too expensive. If it isn't going to be painted I choose wood I like the looks of, that would be cherry, red birch and maple. Just picky about the color variation within a piece and the surroundings. If it is going to be painted, clear pine is OK.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The natural look of wood is what makes wood so beautiful. I think some wood needs stain but if you find a piece that is beautiful on it's own then I'll leave that unstained. About the only thing it'll get is a clear coat of polyurethane.

I especially like wood that isn't perfect. Give me a slab of wood that has a know right in the middle it a hole from nails in it and that imperfection points or the perfections if the wood even more!