Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Squirrels may be "rodents" but they are pretty clean meat. Nuts, other stuff...nothing like a hog that will eat anything you give it to clean up....chickens too are very cannibalistic and will eat rotten stuff. I can't make myself eat a groundhog, but again, they are vegetarians, so pretty clean meat.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really like squirrel meat but where I grew up, they had a lot more size than here. We do have some good sized Fox Squirrels but there aren't any on our place.

We got a possum in one of the traps last night but I don't think it's the varmint that took out the hen the other night but either way it was where I don't want them to be. We will keep setting the traps out for several nights.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Size depends on the breed of the squirrel....grays are the smaller of the common breeds....and I think that the black squirrels are the larger of them.....size can be indicative of age also.....they may be small, but so is a quail, and people eat them without hesitation....sometimes a tad smaller can be more tender, too.....:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had Lance out with me while the sheep were grazing. I can work Lance on a 'walk up' and then send him around to flank the sheep for several minutes at a time when it's this hot out. It gives him some decent working time and the sheep don't get stressed but they keep moving while they are grazing. They have gotten so complacent when he's out there that I went ahead and let him go after a couple who were ignoring him to let them know he's there. Lance and I were going through a gate after we were through and I always hold him so I'm always the first one through any gate and when I called him through, he backed into the low hot wire. Of course he thinks I was the cause of the pain and he tucked his head and tail down and went trotting to the far side of the pasture. He wouldn't come to me the first several times I called but he still responded to the 'That'll Do' that always ends working sessions and went running back to the house with it all forgotten. I'm sure glad they don't remember things like that.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Teresa has been moving freezer goods around and taking inventory of what is in the freezers. We have three large freezers but usually use one of them to receive frozen goods from one of the other two so we can defrost one of them. I was just told that I need to give the Traeger smoker a break and instead eat what I have already cooked or there won't be enough room left to receive one of the wethers and especially not one of the steers for quite awhile. I told her that I guess I shouldn't be buying any of the T-Bones that Kroger has on sale this week.

Latest posts