Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s hard for people to believe that an animal so big can jump that high. Put their feed on the trailer, their water too. Lots of luck. I think you will might get out of the cattle business after this. LOL LOL

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was a one time event with cows anyway. I was l just happy that they decided to jump in a spot that I wasn't standing in. :)

I have a neighbor coming over to give me some idea of how I need to rebuild the chute. I talked to him last night and he pretty much predicted how this would go.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with Bay - get out of the cattle business! Those guys are too big! Sheep can be rough enough. LOL

I agree that the show scene is not where we want to be either. Too much pressure and too political. Been there - done that in other species. Frankly, I would rather just breed and sell for slaughter. On the other hand, if you can sell some of your nice ewe lambs at the auction it might be worth it financially. Particularly if the sale prices are good. It would also get your name out there for people wishing to buy in your area. I wouldn't bother taking any ram ambs since everyone thinks they can sell their ram lambs and brings them resulting in a lot of unsold rams. Ewe lambs usually sell though. Lots of work fitting the sheep for the show though so maybe not worth it for you. Dragging all the equipment, feed, etc. to the show too is lots of work, especially of you don't really enjoy the showing process.
However, if you don't want to take any lambs to sell, just attending is a lot of fun and you don't have to worry about fitting, feeding, and showing.

Do they offer any seminars at the shows, or are those only at the breed conventions?

You might try Bay's idea of withholding feed and feeding them in the trailer. In a few days they will go in the trailer to eat and you can sneak up and slam the door on them!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop they did have info seminars at the KHSI event. We have made it to the Tennessee Association and even hosted it last year but like a lot of those things, it's hard to get people to volunteer so it can be the same people over and over. We still don't have a host for this springs meeting.

I'm going to rebuild the chute to make it more of a funnel. I did get them to eat some feed on the back of the trailer this afternoon so they aren't freaked out.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
With all the cows we helped load i tell you they know what's going on the day you actually want them in there lol. We use chutes as well that get smaller until its a single stall that one cow can fit in but can't turn in and the last place to go is the trailer and that only place left. They get pushed from there and then they get locked in to the trailer.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
With all the cows we helped load i tell you they know what's going on the day you actually want them in there lol. We use chutes as well that get smaller until its a single stall that one cow can fit in but can't turn in and the last place to go is the trailer and that only place left. They get pushed from there and then they get locked in to the trailer.

You got that right. I have been closing that panel for the last month and they never reacted but obviously they sense that something bad was going to happen today. :)

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol we done the same and they freak the day we go to move them. However the apple candy bait they use for deer drives them nuts lol however i would use with great care lol the buck like crazy for that lol my st and brother were driving to the back with a bag in the truck the cows were chasing them, bucking licking the truck lol.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It will take more than a couple days but if they are eating feed off the back end of the trailer, just keep putting it further in until they are getting into the trailer to eat. You are right that they seem too have a 6th sense that you are taking them somewhere they will not like.