Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were having a long dry spell when I broadcast that so the growth was barely visible and non-existent now. It might have gone better if I had a drill but I don't have enough need to get one. A friend of ours has a bunch of it and he hasn't seen a large change in the fields he has it in and he pays attention to detail.
Thank you very much for the info Mike! I will have to look into it more, it does not exist here so far as I can tell. Really no one has ever heard of it locally. I also can't find any info for planting zones for it as of yet, I do know it is invasive in the southern states supposedly.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
M
Good reason not to plant it then.
Many invasive things in southern states are not a problem here because winter kills them lol. So yeah have to look into it more but invasive isnt a deal breaker depending on several factors. I am imagining there is a reason no one here has heard of it though.

Well that was quick...grows in zones 5-11...so not for us :lol:

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the ewe lambs in for weights and check out this morning and then brought the adult ewes in for the same. We pulled fecals on a couple of the girls so we know how they stand before letting Cooper in with them probably on Monday. The ewe lambs are still skittish but finally taming down quite a bit which should get even better when I let Pete the wether in with them. That boy has found a way to make sure he has a long life but it works out very well. The last group of lambs we put him with were as tame as the adults in just a few days.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the ewe lambs in for weights and check out this morning and then brought the adult ewes in for the same. We pulled fecals on a couple of the girls so we know how they stand before letting Cooper in with them probably on Monday. The ewe lambs are still skittish but finally taming down quite a bit which should get even better when I let Pete the wether in with them. That boy has found a way to make sure he has a long life but it works out very well. The last group of lambs we put him with were as tame as the adults in just a few days.
It's always great when another sheep does half of the taming work for you. Really why I like a few bottle goats or bottle lambs, its helps a ton.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will be getting the last ram lamb out of here on Tuesday. He is a triplet and was the smallest of the three lambs and isn't filling out like I would like to see for a potential herd sire. When I talked to the buyer, I told her that if I was looking for a ram I would not consider this one and offered to give her the money back. We talked a bit and she then asked if she could take him to see how he grows out and we could talk about us taking him back and off to the butcher. This is the same place we were going to send him and the other two so it kind of puts us back to the original plan. His confirmation is great but just not growing as fast as the others. We have a couple of our (now) best built ewes that we had considered culling last year due to size and they are now right in line with our best ewes.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is probably one of the safest lots of lambs in the county. I was looking out the bedroom window when everyone came up to pose for a picture. :)

Attachments

• Lambs and dogs 16 May 2021.JPG
    Lambs and dogs 16 May 2021.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 63

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We quit working on the sheep hooves on a regular basis but we had two that needed to be trimmed so we brought them in to get that done and then called them into the paddock next to the ram. I had already moved Pete in with the ewe lambs so Cooper was out there bawling because he couldn't get to his buddy. I opened the gate to let Cooper in with the ewes and he went from his bawling for Pete to going around making a grunting sound that I would have bet was "OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!" :)

Latest posts