Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to do that while in the middle of a move. :) Teresa keeps our ledgers which the CPA loves since all they have to do is transpose the numbers from her books to the computer forms and since they maintain all of the write-offs and depreciation, we usually just drop off the paperwork and settle a few days later.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I Total up everything and take it to the CPA. I won't have to go work on the Groveton house next week, so can get taxes ready, pack, pack some more and work on redoing the floors.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did some of my garden seed order this morning from Park Seed. Up until last year we ordered a "seed collection" which gave us most of what we grow and the price has historically been a lot less than individual seed packets. The only problem last year was everyone was panic buying and most vendors were sold out by the time we were ready to order. Park Seed shipping price is silly but if you buy $50 or more (their Collection is $79.95) there is usually a coupon code on their order page that brings the shipping down to $2.99. Gurney Seed is another that we buy from and they usually have sales where you can get 50% off.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking forward to moving to Texas and planting a garden again. At the old house I had a large garden and fruit trees. I canned everything for winter. The only vegetables we bought were salad items.

If you drop all your tax docs and receipts off at the tax preparers, you will know where it is during the move in at the Groveton house! Then pick them up after you know where you will keep it in your new office. That is one thing I am not looking forward to moving - 3 tall 4 drawer file cabinets, and one long 6 drawer console style file cabinet. Not to mention the closet and cupboards of office supplies. :th

How do Cooper's lambs look now that they have some growth in them? Are you still pleased with their conformation?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds good. Constant reassessment of your stock is the mark of a good breeder who aspires to produce the best. Even the best champion brought into the flock that you think is going to produce more champions doesn't always nick with what you have.

A winning Dorper breeder decided to retire. They sold all their stock and equipment, then decided to come back into breeding Dorpers. They have plenty of money so have invested in high priced champions from several different bloodlines. It will be interesting to see whether they do as well as they did before. Simply buying champions and breeding them together doesn't always produce better quality animals.

When DH was breeding rabbits, he had a barn full of champions and was breeding winning rabbits. Another breeder known for producing great stuff had passed away and his wife was selling up. DH bought 6 junior does and bucks from their best stuff. He showed them and finished all 6 to their championships. They were perfect animals. Bred with his champions they should have produced superlative animals, right? Wrong! He bred them to his champions and got freezer bunnies! The 2 bloodlines did not mesh together at all. He continued to breed the 2 lines separately for a while and got more champions but ended up selling the other bloodline and continuing with his winning bloodline that he preferred.

Knowing when to cull stock that doesn't work out in a breeding program is key to continued production of excellence. You know what you are breeding for and have established a flock with superior parasite resistance and improved conformation. Now you are concentrating on other things you want to improve. You know what you are doing and what to select for. It is showing in your continued flock improvement.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought all of the sheep in for weights and some follow up fecal samples plus the last round of shots for the lambs that we are keeping. It is supposed to be rainy for the next couple of days so we worked the hay bales inside the panels. We keep one bale worked down and leave the other alone to force them to concentrate on the one bale. They don't waste as much when it isn't all pulled down and nice and loose for them. :)

The country was doing some long overdue maintenance on the ditches that are on steep slopes this morning and I guess they didn't bother getting with the water company to see where the water lines were located. We use well water for the animals but we have country water hooked up to the house so hopefully they will get it fixed soon. We didn't have water connected to the house for over two years when we were renovating so we had to be creative in how we bathed. We still have the horse trough we used and the portable heater that goes in it.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The yard light on our power pole went out a couple of days ago and we called to put in a trouble ticket yesterday. They came out to replace the bulb a little while ago and they had sent out three trucks with two men per truck to change that light bulb. We didn't even know they were here until we saw them leaving so I'm not sure why so many people.

Latest posts