Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our weather is usually pretty consistent year to year but this has been an amazingly mild winter. I have only had to break ice in the troughs twice so far this year. It was close to 70 today with a low of 49 tomorrow morning but then the next 5 mornings are going to be in the 20's.

Maisy finally forgave me for the trip to the vet and came and let me brush her this afternoon. She is one of the best dogs I have ever had but when she gets stressed, she becomes an island all to herself.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor Maisy! Our dogs hate the vet trip. It really stresses them. We had to catch them and keep them close before a vet trip - it was as though they got the memo! Neither of them would get in the car, it took both of us to lift them in. Except for Bubba who we had getting collected at another vet. Bubba began to anticipate the trip and get excited when we told him he was going to the vet. Whenever we left the back of the SUV open he would jump in. We began to feel like his pimps. :hide

We are lucky we did collect hm since we lost him so young. Erick wanted to have him collected too but never got the chance. I am going to arrange for Erick to get the semen since he will be able to use it on some good bitches. I don't have the contacts for that. Maybe we will have one of Bubba's puppies one day. :fl

I will put the Garlic Barrier http://www.garlicbarrier.com/pricing.html in my favorites bar so I can see about ordering some.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our high today was 34 degrees and it's supposed to get down to 17 by tomorrow morning.

Teresa and I both had a case of the "Duhs" today. I grilled us some T-bones this afternoon but I made some sauteed leeks and mushrooms earlier in the day. Teresa warmed them up and cooked some potatoes and threw together a salad while I was doing the steaks. As we were doing the dishes, I pulled the lid off the leek dish and of course they were all still there since we didn't think to put them on our steaks.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been buying leeks lately and making homemade potato leek soup. They really give a good flavor and a bit different from regular onions. They will make a tasty vegetable dish by themselves.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been buying leeks lately and making homemade potato leek soup. They really give a good flavor and a bit different from regular onions. They will make a tasty vegetable dish by themselves.

Leeks are easy to grow and I prefer them to regular onions for a lot of things.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have four steers that have been loose on the neighbors place for the last week but they got around our outer perimeter fence this morning and couldn't figure out where to go. I took our ATV around and ran them out to another unfenced property a little further away so hopefully they can find their way to the road. We have had all of the folks around us that own cattle come check them out but they weren't theirs. Hoping that if I can get them on the gravel road, the owners will turn up. No ear tags so that's no help but the road has good visibility so they are as safe there than on our place, (actually safer) as I turned Lance loose on them yesterday. That was the first time he has herded cattle but his instinct is strong enough that he got one of the steers nose when they refused to move.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good for Lance!

If the owners don’t turn up, you can call the Sheriff department. They will catch and impound them. Then if owners don’t claim them, the steers will be sold at auction.

Or, neighbors could all get together, catch and load them in a trailer, take to slaughter and fill the freezers! LOL

Latest posts