Testicles?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well isn't that just sweet. How in the world do you miss both of them unless of course he had 4. :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist...I don't blame you for being upset. What does this mean as far as him being done too early? Is this maybe a good thing?

So now is it surgery time? What about the horns?

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is a good thing as far as letting his urethra and penis develop. He actually wants me to wait a little bit longer (around Labor Day) to have it done. He wants me to wait until he's showing interest in my little female. As for his horns, he said they can be done at the same time. He talked about this time of year being bad with flies and how we'll wrap his head. We talked about lots of stuff, but one thing I'm confused about is how much they should browse. He talked about how big their area is and how much they get to eat. The area they are in isn't super big, and we want to make it bigger, but there's not really any green inside it. When we are outside we let them be loose and that's when they browse. Should I not let them? They area we want to make bigger will have green in it, should we not make them a bigger area? I'm confused...again. Lol!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it's been confirmed...he still has two testicles
I guess I'm feeling kinda angry at the lady I bought him from.

You know it is entirely possible she left the testicles on purpose. That used to be and still is by some common practice for Rams, called short scrotum ram. I have heard of people using this one goats as well, as it "may" be less painful. Theory is the extra body temp makes them sterile and they are considered whethered/banded.

I have heard of short scrotum rams still being fertile but this was in cases where the scrotum has no been shorted enough and a small pouch was left behind.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a good thing as far as letting his urethra and penis develop. He actually wants me to wait a little bit longer (around Labor Day) to have it done. He wants me to wait until he's showing interest in my little female. As for his horns, he said they can be done at the same time. He talked about this time of year being bad with flies and how we'll wrap his head. We talked about lots of stuff, but one thing I'm confused about is how much they should browse. He talked about how big their area is and how much they get to eat. The area they are in isn't super big, and we want to make it bigger, but there's not really any green inside it. When we are outside we let them be loose and that's when they browse. Should I not let them? They area we want to make bigger will have green in it, should we not make them a bigger area? I'm confused...again. Lol!

Personally i dont think they can have to much browse, at least ive never heard of it being a problem. Now to much pasture/grass can be if they go from dirt to lush grass otherwise no. There is a local guy here who has a small herd of 8 goats that live in the 4 acres of woods by his house, they seem to love it and he hasnt had any issues that he has mentioned.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like @misfitmogan said, green grass or pasture is one kind of green, brush and vines is another. But being that they are young you might still introduce them to it slowly. When I let me does out into the back pasture in spring time and they have lots of fresh shoots on trees and poison oak to eat they may get clumpy poo for a few days, but never a real problem.

I would make it bigger but maybe you could divide it to start with and each day let them into the new area for a little while longer just to make sure they adjust to the greenery slowly.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Personally i dont think they can have to much browse, at least ive never heard of it being a problem. Now to much pasture/grass can be if they go from dirt to lush grass otherwise no. There is a local guy here who has a small herd of 8 goats that live in the 4 acres of woods by his house, they seem to love it and he hasnt had any issues that he has mentioned.
What's the difference between browse and pasture/grass?

Latest posts