The Muslim approach to slaughtering goats

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I also know that the other reason for a very sharp knife in both Halal and Kosher slaughter is to protect the animal from undue suffering. This was one of the original purposes for the single cut of the slaughter thus the sharpness of the knife. The animal must be treated humanely as it is blessed and it's life is given to Allah, God or Yahweh as the case/religion may be.

An inhumane process is neither Halal nor Kosher.

abubakar4u2003

Just born
Reaction score
Very true. Knife has to be very sharp and guy slaughtering the animal has to do it quickly in a single cut so that animal doesn't know or feel what has happened to it. If you use an unsharpened knife, it will be hard to do the job and will result in animal feeling the pain. You need to treat the animal nicely and don't try to scare it by showing off knives or treating them violently. Further to add, some people think that using knife and bleeding the animal/bird to death is a kind of torture which is not true. When one cuts the throat using knife and leaves spinal cord intacts, the connection to the brain is lost and blood doesn't reach brain which results in no pain to the animal as its brain is not getting any pain signals from the body. As explained before, the maximum amount of blood is taken out of the body and job done. Meat without blood is good for health and can be preserved for longer time which is a benefit for human beings eating it. While on the other hand, animal dies without getting in pain which is a benefit for it.
Thanks to all of you guys for your comments. I liked this forum and backyardchickens as well. I'm more active on chikens forum though. I think it's because I have chickens right now and don't have any goats or cows due to space issues, but I will definitely get them once I get some free space of my own and TEXAS does have lots of it!!!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
abubakar4u2003 said:
Very true. Knife has to be very sharp and guy slaughtering the animal has to do it quickly in a single cut so that animal doesn't know or feel what has happened to it. If you use an unsharpened knife, it will be hard to do the job and will result in animal feeling the pain. You need to treat the animal nicely and don't try to scare it by showing off knives or treating them violently. Further to add, some people think that using knife and bleeding the animal/bird to death is a kind of torture which is not true. When one cuts the throat using knife and leaves spinal cord intacts, the connection to the brain is lost and blood doesn't reach brain which results in no pain to the animal as its brain is not getting any pain signals from the body. As explained before, the maximum amount of blood is taken out of the body and job done. Meat without blood is good for health and can be preserved for longer time which is a benefit for human beings eating it. While on the other hand, animal dies without getting in pain which is a benefit for it.
Thanks to all of you guys for your comments. I liked this forum and backyardchickens as well. I'm more active on chikens forum though. I think it's because I have chickens right now and don't have any goats or cows due to space issues, but I will definitely get them once I get some free space of my own and TEXAS does have lots of it!!!
I hope you get goats. They are wonderful multipurpose animals. Texas certainly has a lot of them available. And lots of land!

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
abubakar4u2003 said:
Your post on how to slaughter without causing pain is extremely interesting.

If possible, can you post a diagram or photo showing exactly the placement of the knife on the neck to properly do the single cut ?

Or give more detail in words on where to do the cut?
my example:
I am thinking it must be done very high up on the neck, right under the jaw, deeply, with a knife longer than the width of the neck so that only one cut accomplishes the job?

I could easily be missing something, or wrong though. I do greatly appreciate more detail if you can give it.
Such as, does it make a difference (less stressful for the animal) if the cut be done while the animal is standing or lying down on its side ?

Also, would the cut be exactly the same for a sheep ?
thanks!

FarmGuru

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
22.jpg

eweinHiscare said:
abubakar4u2003 said:
Your post on how to slaughter without causing pain is extremely interesting.

If possible, can you post a diagram or photo showing exactly the placement of the knife on the neck to properly do the single cut ?

Or give more detail in words on where to do the cut?
my example:
I am thinking it must be done very high up on the neck, right under the jaw, deeply, with a knife longer than the width of the neck so that only one cut accomplishes the job?

I could easily be missing something, or wrong though. I do greatly appreciate more detail if you can give it.
Such as, does it make a difference (less stressful for the animal) if the cut be done while the animal is standing or lying down on its side ?

Also, would the cut be exactly the same for a sheep ?
thanks!

eweinHiscare

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks FarmGuru for the picture. It is worth " a thousand words" as the saying goes !

I see that I was wrong about the placement point on the neck.

While trying to find out more about humane slaughter I saw that someone made a rack of sorts that the animal is held upright, immobilized, on.

They claimed it is less stressful. It would seem so, has anyone here ever done it that way ?

Then I went looking online for the long knife and they are not easy to find at all !

I have never killed a goat or sheep...yet. I'm trying to find out what I can first and have some confidence.

thanks again!

Latest posts