TheFarmOfDreams- a long awaited adventure

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi! I figured planning stage is an ideal time for a journal start! So I'll answer the million questions... and then post some pics and what not. 😁

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? We're in upstate NY, The new property is 10 miles from the Blue Line! So cool forest technically. Summers get hot, winters get cold.
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status? It is myself and my husband (both in our 30s) and our boys, one currently 10 and one currently 2. We also have 2 apartments on our new property, and my sisters is going to rent one with her hubby and 3 kids (all under 10) and my mom and her hubby are going to rent the other!
3. How would you define your farm? Our goal is a permaculturey homestead that supplies more of our food needs every year! :)
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed? oh gosh. Travel? Paint? It's been so long with covid and needy little kids, such a luxury is hard to imagine!
5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to? I've built a few barn additions, and we'll be building fencing and horse sheds in just a couple weeks! And a dog house.. .and a chicken coop this winter....
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? Not yet, but I'll learn if i need to.
7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer? I grew up on a 'farm' where my grandma had horses, chickens, etc. We raised pigs one year. Showed in 4h. Etc.
8 Is it a hobby or an occupation? Little of both? I'm a SAHM, and hoping to be able to put enough resources and effort into this to (1) replace some of our food bills.. and (2) maybe someday make some funds from sales.. .someday... maybe... I'd love to breed quality livestock for other farms (chickens? pigs?)
9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more? I know a ton about horses, I did ALL the horse things as kid. I know less about other livestock, and definitely want to know more. I know almost nothing about gardening, but DEFINITELY will be reading up. I'm good at baking and cooking, I have a long work history in children's behavioral health, so i know a ton about development, education, psychology, etc. I want to learn about canning. and all the other self sufficiency tasks. And sewing! I know basics but would love to be able to make clothes.
10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do? the chemically, commercialized kind. I want as much of our farming to subsist off the resources on the farm as possible, and to contribute to the environment in a cycle that reduces our footprint (and cost!)
11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply? Very!!!
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world? At a computer, lol. Although I also love to be outside, in the woods or in the water. Hopefully soon....
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? Tractor yes, semi no.
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? I can sew basic stuff, and i could crochet or knit a (sloppy) blanket. I enjoy acrylic paints. And sketching with colored pencils. I'd be happy to teach.
15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? I am legally allowed, no restrictions. We have a horse and his donkey posse. We plan to get goats & chickens in the spring. I want to at minimum get feeder pigs in a couple years when we are settled, but might someday explore breeding pigs and/or a milk cow.
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? Nope.
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? I think I like the idea of gardening more than the actuality. But I'm going to do it, darn it! It'll be easier when we aren't living on this postage stamp in the suburbs anymore! I hate being outside here where its cramped and the neighbors windows literally look into mine. When I'm out for chores and enjoyment every day, gardening chores will be more enjoyable and more easily remembered! I want to eventually grow tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, lettuce, broccoli, asparagus... our main staples. We'll probably start with root veggies and tomatoes next year!
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? No, its not a favorite food and I'm not a fan of catch & release.
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country? 55acres! All wooded, so we'll be clearing some bits for pasture.
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed? I don't have any formal farm training, but lots of work related stuff from when I was working with kids, and a BA in sociology/french
21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? hmmmm .... jack of all trades? Lol. With self sufficiency to some degree in mind, we need to be diverse. I'd love to eventually specialize in quality pigs or chicks for selling, if alllll the things go perfectly. But that's a very secondary goal.
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take? Anything? I love learning. history, agriculture, languages...anything. Especially if the professors are engaging and talented! My dream job (other than farm work) would be a paid student at uni, lol.
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet? I'm sure I will be soon!!!
24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine? In a supportive capacity, yes, but I think modern medicine also has an important/primary role.
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Hmm... I loved France, and Ireland... I'd love to live in Europe and be able to visit a new country on any given day trip!
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? There is one in the garage, so we'll use it occasionally, but not in the house or for cooking.
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be? Time travel like Dr. Who! Ha!
28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals? Very! It definitely runs in the family. Although DH swears he's not having anything to do with the meat animals.
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? All of the above! I love cooking. And baking. And I want as much whole and natural foods as we can get. I can't wait to raise our own eggs and meat!
30. What was your best animal experience? Worst? Oh gosh. I've been bucked, kicked, trampled, charged, etc by SO MANY horses. Mostly my horse bc he was a brat as a baby. But worst is probably rehoming 2 of my geldings when I couldn't support all 3 after leaving my toxic ex.... Best.. i don't know? So many good things. Training my horse myself, and eventually making it to state fair and getting regular offers of incredible amounts of $$ for him? The way he still lights up and wants to run when I get to the barn? (he's 24 now!)
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Not yet, but we'd love to forage our woods!
32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm? Lots of animal husbandry, basic mechanical and tool stuff, great at research and tutorials to increase those skills!
33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve? We're going to! I've butchered lots of mammals- deer, pig, bear, etc, as a child. We plan on starting our meat chickens in the spring! And I plan to learn to can and preserve.
34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to? That'd be amazing, but they're expensive to get off the ground.
35 What is on your to do list? Oh goodness... everything? build fences, rehab the barn, get all of the supplies and tools, rehab my sister's apartment, pack & move, build a chicken coop, clear land, build more fences, build garden beds, etc. etc. etc. We're starting from (almost) scratch!
36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to? nope but i would LOVE to!
37. In what do you trust? science? my own 2 hands? not a lot to be honest!
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money? definitely!
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits? you learn patience, diligence, hardwork and resiliency. And partnership. And responsibility. It's hard to pinpoint how it has changed me since it has literally been since before I can remember. I hope to impart a lot of this to my boys through our journey though!

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
here are some pictures of our property at start. Yellow is property line, with my sisters potential future property line marked off. (5 acres in that corner for sure). The purple are future fences, the green possible garden spots. Red is pasture locations i'm contemplating partially clearing. I'm not sure how close our pasture can be to our wells though? I'd like 5ish acres of pasture. I prefer the idea of the pasture being right behind the house where I can see the animals. And then we'll run the pigs, and maybe the goats, through the trees where they can browse on the underbrush. I very much want a permaculture, move the animals a lot kind of plan. It reduces worms, and manure management, and helps keep them from over grazing.

We're setting up the dry lot this month, and the dog run. The riding ring has to wait a while. But I might use temporary electric fencing to let them graze it. We'll also fence off that weird neighbor property that cuts into ours. I don't want loose animals escaping directly into their yard! (pipe dream... maybe they'll sell when we're in a position to buy it. lol) The area directly behind the main house is a wonderful shaded yard, and the garage to the left of the main house has a little potting shed that will be great for starting seeds. And the pool will be rehabbed in a year or two (hopefully), which i'm SUPER excited for.

Oh, and here's a pic of my 2yr old riding my 24yo QH (he thinks he's 24mos, lol). Can't wait to bring him home!
176821373_5355792891162711_162849179790755181_n.jpg

overviewlabelled.jpg
closer sky view labelled.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how close our pasture can be to our wells though?
Here septic has to be 100 feet from the well.

How deep is your well?

With a deep well, I would see nothing wrong with having cattle or horses 9ver the well.

However, you would want to treat pigs like a septic... 100 feet of more from the wellhead. And pigs uphill would probably not be wise either.

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here septic has to be 100 feet from the well.

How deep is your well?

With a deep well, I would see nothing wrong with having cattle or horses 9ver the well.

However, you would want to treat pigs like a septic... 100 feet of more from the wellhead. And pigs uphill would probably not be wise either.
Thank you for the warm welcome! This community seems so great, I'm excited to be here.

Thank you for the info!! I have no idea how deep it is. I know there's two for some reason. Right next to each other. I'll have to ask the owner about depth. I've never had a well before! Our septic is off to the left, near the walnut trees somewhere, to my understanding. 100ft should be easy to manage, even if I put the horses and such behind the house.

I don't mind keeping the pigs farther, if we get them. The undergrowth to the right of the barn seems much more like something they'd enjoy anyways!

One of the great perks of this place is the old owner lives right at the back of the property and LOVES the place. He grew up here and built both the houses and treated it like his baby. So we're super excited to have him as a neighbor.

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
More pictures. I'm so excited. However, our closing date isn't as fixed as I was under the impression it is... supposed to be the 4th, but the appraiser drug his feet so much that it may not happen that soon. Sigh. If I'm driving posts in November... I'm not going to be happy....

Here's our house and garage and walnut grove!
Screenshot 2021-09-29 114502.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-29 114643.jpg

Here's the barn, from the road across our future riding ring, and up closer. You can see it has a basement level, a main level, and then the loft above that. So much storage!
Screenshot 2021-09-29 114621.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-29 114707.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-29 114740.jpg

Here's where Luke & his donkey posse will live while we get more infastructure and clearing done. (The weedy patch to the right. Lots of weed eating in my future.)
Screenshot 2021-09-29 114722.jpg

Last but not least... some adorable wildlife, and our donkey posse. Daddy will get cut as soon as we can get it scheduled. But he'll likely cover momma one more time before that happens, so next year we'll likely have one more baby to keep this year's baby company.
Screenshot 2021-09-29 114545.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-29 114559.jpg
baby donkey.jpg
shorty.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no idea how deep it is. I know there's two for some reason. Right next to each other. I'll have to ask the owner about depth. I've never had a well before!
Yep, depth is important to know... deeper it is the safer it is from ground contaminants. However stuff can wick down right at the well casing itself.

If I'm driving posts in November
Uh.... is that even possible where you are at? At my place we have maybe 2 more weeks of possible digging.... maybe.

getting cold.
some adorable wildlife,
:barnie not deer!!! Ack! There goes the garden! :rant

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, depth is important to know... deeper it is the safer it is from ground contaminants. However stuff can wick down right at the well casing itself.

Uh.... is that even possible where you are at? At my place we have maybe 2 more weeks of possible digging.... maybe.

getting cold.

:barnie not deer!!! Ack! There goes the garden! :rant

I'll definitely find out re well depth!

And it is possible in November. Global warming and what not. December, I almost definitely can't, but early November I should be ok. It's still almost t shirt weather right now! I guess I'll be buying round pen panels otherwise, huh? :he

And yeaaa I have already been contemplating how we're gonna deer proof the garden. Sigh. But they sure are cute. :lol:

Eta... Their old garden still had volunteers from last year that the wildlife hadn't decimated in August... So I have hope.

Latest posts