TheFarmOfDreams- a long awaited adventure

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You'll get it worked out. I have faith in you because you have managed to get this all put together so far. Congrats on getting them moved. Guess the push was to get them out before you got stuck with another month board too, so that is great.
Yup. I had already given my 30 days notice once... And I bought the donkeys in August and just... Didn't pick them up. (We did agree to delayed pick up but still) Sooooo it was pressing to get them out of their respective places.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got Luke and his donkey posse moved in yesterday!! They didn't get in till 7pm bc of the long drive. My husband, sil and bil worked on finishing most of it up while I was gone. Today I got the fence pretty much done. I need an extension cord bc it's outlet apparently doesn't work. And a few more tasks in the barn. Luke doesn't seem inclined to respect the fence, so I think he's gonna be supervised turn out only... He is a good jumper. But the donkeys should be able to come out once I get power to the fence.
Nice horse, glad the fence looks like it will work,bummer on the outlet...

And MAJOR LUST AFTER THAT BARN!!!! :DROOL

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Are you ready for the "lake effect" Erie snow dumps?
lol!! We also get 'lake effect' snow in buffalo... although I'm told its a solid half foot to a foot less/year in buffalo. We did get snow up there before buffalo this year... it is gonna be interesting with out a tractor or plow, but we'll make do! Got sleds for water already 😁 I'm honestly more concerned about deep freezes than snow. Mild freezing doesn't even touch the inside of the barn and water is easy, regardless of snow. I'm dreading the uber cold when even a barrel of water freezes! We'll see how it goes though!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The mother of a guy I used to work with lives (lived?) in Watertown. I've seen pictures :epI'd put a snow removal machine of some sort in the budget. Of course the day you buy it is the day it stops snowing appreciably for the next 2 years ;)

Opps, my mistake, you got Lake Erie snow before, now you'll get Lake Ontario snow.

Last edited:

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We think we have a snow blower one way or another!

It's been a busy couple days. Trips to buffalo bc of my oldest's visitation with dad. Trips to stores for proper boots and more supplies. Finally got the fence finished and powered! My qh seems very inclined to jump it... :he and the first time we let the donkeys out, the jenny happily led her family right through it and took off down the road. Soooooooo nobody is going out right now. Silly creatures. My sister might get her goat net early so the donkeys can use it... Or add extra grounding rods and try with the fence wire a bit lower so maybe the donkeys won't just hop between the two cords without a care for being zapped. I'm not sure if that'll be enough give how loose the wires are bc of the plastic posts. Luckily the barn is 40x60, and only about 12x40 is enclosed for stalls, so we use the other 45ish as a place for them to stretch their legs twice a day... And lunge lining when it isn't raining. Except the donkeys have nooooo clue what to do with one.. . At least the qh gets to run on the line. Worst case scenario, they're a bit sedate this winter and we put up the riding arena/fence first thing in spring. Sigh.

Plus side, I think I solved the bug problem. A box and tape for now. :lol:

Also. My 2 yo loves riding his little bike in the barn. He's in heaven. 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_200836125.jpg
    IMG_20211202_200836125.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 92

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I couldn't get my goats to respect electric rope...

But the horses were great with it... as long as it was charged.

Even with plastic posts, there shouldn't be sag.

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Even with plastic posts, there shouldn't be sag.
Is there a trick to it? My corners bend and lean when I get it anywhere near tight enough to look like a fence should.

I did the donkey's feet this am. I would rather have waited till they were a bit more handled and mannered... But their feet were baaadddddd. The jack looks a lot better. 2 feet are near normal and 2 still need some work, but I've never done neglected feet before and he's got some white line issues going on in the toe, so I'm gonna do some research, let is both breath and revisit. The jenny was much more difficult, much kicking and rearing. Her back feet weren't as awful, but the front are awful and curly. I did my best to get a start, but they've started cracking and peeling. And her soles are ROCK HARD. I'm researching local farriers, and more about how to fix her up. I'm not sure I can get them fixed myself.

One picture of the jack with one foot done and one not done and some other donkey pics. The jenny LOVES the baby and kept visiting him while we worked. She also repeatedly visited me to see what I was doing to her hubby's feet. 😆

Attachments

• received_2205109266309582.jpeg
    received_2205109266309582.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 91
  • received_941946533084945.jpeg
    received_941946533084945.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 81
  • received_194377092901295.jpeg
    received_194377092901295.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 81
  • received_937285776888740.jpeg
    received_937285776888740.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Never done donkey feet.

Actually, I have only done goats.

We used a farrier for the horses.
My farrier was 80 when I was a teen and he was amazing at his job. He taught me a ton, so I'm pretty good at the average hoof. But he was worried about appearances so he wouldn't let me properly apprentice and go to other farms with him, so I've little experience with troubled feet and starting new to me feet.